Tayside and Central Scotland

Bridge murder trial told of man holding onto railings

Russell Robertson Image copyright Supplied
Image caption The body of Russell Robertson was found in May 2016

A nightclub security manager has told a murder trial that he saw a man disappear off a bridge after being assaulted by two men.

Mark Munro, 31, and James Robertson, 27, are accused of killing Russell Robertson by pushing him over railings at Bainsford Bridge, Falkirk.

It is alleged that they repeatedly punched Mr Robertson on the hands and prised his fingers from the bridge railings in May last year.

Both men deny the charges.

Kevin Gibney, who works at the nearby Warehouse nightclub in Falkirk, told prosecutor Alan Cameron: "When I was a bit away, I first thought it was toy fighting."

He said he slowed down as he drove across the bridge because he was "nosey".

Mr Gibney said: "I saw two guys hitting into one guy. That's one of the reasons I got out the car.

"One of them was punching him about the head and shoulders."

'Holding on'

Mr Gibney said he stopped his car on the bridge about 10 to 15ft away from the incident.

He said: "The young man was standing with his feet on a concrete platform and he was holding on to the railings.

"I saw one of the guys was prising the guy's fingers off on one hand and the other guy was punching the other hand.

"One minute he was there and the next he was gone. The two gentlemen ran across the road."

Mr Gibney said he looked into the canal and searched the embankment but did not find anyone.

Mr Gibney identified the two men as Mr Munro and Mr Robertson.

The jury was shown CCTV footage taken in the car park at the Warehouse two minutes before Russsell Robertson disappeared at the bridge.

Mr Gibney and two bouncers are seen to be approached by Mr Robertson, who speaks with them before leaving.

Defence QC Derek Ogg, representing Mr Munro, said: "How can you, a security manager who is stone cold sober, who knows a man, and sees him two minutes before he disappears off a bridge not mention this to the police?"

Mr Gibney replied: "I can't recall having any conversation."

The trial at the High Court in Glasgow before Lady Carmichael continues.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites