Work is due to begin on a flood prevention scheme in Conwy county.
A new culvert will be put in place to protect 230 homes and businesses in Abergele at risk of flooding from the river which runs through the town.
Environment Agency Wales workers will build the culvert next to the bridge at Ffordd y Morfa from Monday.
David Edwell, of Environment Agency Wales, said: "This is an important scheme for people who live with the threat of flooding in Abergele."
Homes, businesses, industrial units, school grounds, roads, rail lines and bridges are currently in the flood risk area.
The flood prevention scheme is due to be completed in two months and will help water to flow away from the area more quickly during heavy rain.
Ffordd y Morfa will be closed for a week from 23 October while work is carried out and will reopen again on 1 November with diversions in place during this period.
Work on other parts of the scheme next year will see new flood defences built in locations upstream of Ffordd y Morfa.
David Edwell, north Wales area manager for Environment Agency Wales, said the scheme was "important" for local people.
He added: "We have consulted with them during the last year so the scheme we came up with took their views into account - they will be pleased that building work is now starting.
"As always with civil engineering projects there will be some disruption but we are doing our best to keep these to a minimum."