Wales politics

Former first minister's wife Julie Morgan 'was hacked'

The wife of former first minister Rhodri Morgan has said she may have been a victim of phone hacking while her husband was in office.

Julie Morgan, the Labour AM for Cardiff North, said her mobile phone company contacted her in July about calls to her mobile made in 2005 and 2006.

She said she was "very shocked and very upset".

Mrs Morgan, who was an MP at the time, joins a long list of public figures claiming their phones were hacked.

Singer Charlotte Church is due to give evidence to the Leveson inquiry into phone hacking by newspapers which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London on Monday.

Mrs Morgan told BBC Radio Wales her mobile phone operator told her to contact the Metropolitan Police in July and she later met officers.

She said calls had come from News International, the owners of The Sun newspaper and the News of the World, which ceased publication earlier this year.

It took place while Mr Morgan was first minister and Mrs Morgan was the MP for Cardiff North. She lost her seat in parliament in the 2010 General Election, but was elected as the constituency's AM in May.

"I have a letter from the mobile phone company, I think it was in July this year, telling me they had been approached by the Metropolitan Police in 05-06 about a number of calls to my mobile telephone number," said Mrs Morgan.

"They said at the time they were under the misapprehension that because of the RIPA (The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act) legislation that they did not have to inform me, so I wasn't informed and the police didn't inform me, and the letter said now five, six years later that perhaps I should now change my pin number, and they asked me to contact the Metropolitan Police."

RIPA regulates the power of public bodies to carry out surveillance and investigation, and covers the interception of communications.

Asked what, of significance, was happening in her life in 2005-06, Mrs Morgan added: "Well, looking back I can't think of anything particularly different from any other time really.

'Very upset'

"I have seen the list of phone calls. I went up to meet the Metropolitan Police, and so far I haven't identified them with any significant incidents, but that is work ongoing really."

She added: "I saw the list of them (the calls). I can't remember the exact number, about nine I think, and I don't personally have any recollection of talking to anybody from News International, but on the other hand this is five years later.

"What the police said was that I was a potential victim.

"I was very shocked and very upset when I originally received the letter, I couldn't believe it."

Mr Morgan made the revelation in a conference on phone hacking at Cardiff University on Thursday night.

A spokeswoman for News International said the company had no comment on the specific case but continues to co-operate fully with the police.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites