Yaseen Ali Ege murder: Jury sent home after considering verdict

Yaseen Ali Ege
Image caption Yaseen Ali Ege was beaten so badly he died from his injuries, the court has heard

A jury has been sent home for the night after considering its verdict on a mother accused of beating her son to death in Cardiff.

Sara Ege, 33, denies murdering Yaseen Ali Ege, seven, at their home in Pontcanna, in July 2010.

The boy's father Yousuf Ege, 38, denies causing the death of his son by failing to protect him.

Mrs Ege is accused of hitting her son "like a dog" with a stick, driven by a desire for him to memorise the Koran.

The court has heard that the beatings were so brutal that Yaseen died from his injuries and a fire was started to burn his body and destroy evidence.

The judge, Mr Justice Royce, summed up the case on Wednesday and showed the jury an excerpt of a police interview video in which Mrs Ege confessed: "I used to hit Yaseen."

She said she heard a voice telling her: "Why are you stopping Sara, go back and hit him more."

At the time of his death, Yaseen was at the end of a three-month trial period of memorising the Koran, and the jury heard Mrs Ege was under pressure for her son to be perfect.

In his closing speech, prosecutor Ian Murphy said Mrs Ege became violent towards her son on numerous occasions.

The prosecution said on the day Yaseen died he suffered three severe blows to his abdomen, and there were other blows to his body.

Serious injuries

The death of the couple's son at home in Pontcanna, Cardiff, was treated as a tragic accident when it happened in July 2010.

But both Mr and Mrs Ege were arrested when a post-mortem examination revealed Yaseen had suffered broken ribs, a fractured arm and finger and serious abdominal injuries.

Mrs Ege has claimed that her husband is the real killer but that she was threatened by her husband and his family, and told to take the blame.

The couple set up home in Cardiff after an arranged marriage was put together by both their families in just five days.

The prosecution has said that there was no way Mr Ege did not know about his son's suffering.

During his summing up, Mr Justice Royce reminded the jury that Mr Ege worked long shifts, and had not been expected to learn the Koran as a child and was not responsible for Yaseen's education.

He added that Mr Ege had said he had no idea Yaseen had been beaten by his wife.

The jurors were sent home for the night after six hours considering their verdict on Thursday and will return to resume their deliberations on Friday.

More on this story