Seven children rescued in three beach alerts in west Wales

RNLI lifeguards on Newgale beach
Image caption RNLI lifeguards rescued two brothers after they got into difficulties when they got caught in a flash rip current and were swept out to sea

Seven children have been rescued after getting into trouble in three separate incidents at beaches in west Wales.

At Newgale, Pembrokeshire, brothers aged nine and 11 were rescued by RNLI lifeguards while swimming.

At Pendine, Carmarthenshire, a father rescued his daughter and another 14-year-old girl from the sea off Morfa Bychan beach.

At Hakin near Milford Haven, three boys aged 11, 12 and 13 were cut off by the tide as they walked the coastal path.

At Newgale, Pembrokeshire, the RNLI said the two brothers were caught in a rip current at the north beach.

The charity's lifeguards spotted the two boys in trouble at 12:15 BST and ran to their assistance.

It said the boys had been body boarding between the red and yellow flags at the beach during the morning, but had decided to return to the sea for a swim early afternoon.

As they made their way back to shore they got caught in a flash rip current and were swept back out to sea.

Realising they were in trouble and out of their depth, the boys raised their hands and shouted for help to try and get the lifeguards attention.

RNLI lifeguards spotted the boys in trouble and ran into the water to help with rescue tubes and rescue boards.

One boy had swallowed a lot of water so the lifeguards phoned the ambulance, the RNLI added.

Both were taken to Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen for a check-up.

Adam Pitman, RNLI lifeguard supervisor, praised the brothers.

"It would be easy for the boys to panic as they were caught in the rip current, but they obviously listened to previous advice by raising their hands and calling for help to attract the lifeguards attention," he said.

Called for help

Meanwhile, at Pendine in Carmarthenshire, two 14-year-old teenage girls from Abergavenny got into difficulty while swimming and the tide took them out to Gilman Point.

Milford Haven coastguard said they became panicked and went onto some rocks and called for help.

The father of one of the girls went to their aid bringing them back along the rocks to safety causing them to suffer cuts and bruises.

Ambulance paramedics checked them over and due to their ages and ambulance protocols they had to be taken to Glangwili hospital, Carmarthen, for treatment.

Coastguards received several 999 calls for the incident and rescue teams from Tenby and Manorbier were alerted.

Climb up rocks

Elsewhere, three boys, aged 11, 12 and 13 from the Milford Haven area had been walking the coastal path when the tide came in an cut them off near Gelliswick Bay, Hakin, Pembrokeshire.

They called 999 at 16:39 BST to ask for help from the police who in turn contacted Milford Haven Coastguard.

The Angle RNLI Inshore lifeboat was launched, along with a police rhib boat and the police helicopter to locate and rescue the boys.

A crew member from the inshore lifeboat climbed 20 feet up the rocks and was able to walk the boys down one by one to the safety of the inshore lifeboat and then onto the police rhib.

The boys were taken to Milford Haven by the police boat where they were reunited with their parents.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites