Terry Grange: Former Dyfed-Powys chief constable dies

image captionTerry Grange retired in 2007

A former chief constable of Dyfed-Powys Police, Terry Grange, has died after battling cancer.

Mr Grange, who was in his early 60s, spent seven years at the top of the force before retiring in 2007.

His successor, Ian Arundale, paid tribute to him and said his work had a lasting impact throughout the UK.

He had been the lead officer for the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) on child abuse and the management of dangerous offenders.

Mr Grange, who passed away on Friday, 18 May, after a long illness, was married with three adult daughters and two grandchildren.

He joined the Army at 15 and spent seven years in the Parachute Regiment before joining the Metropolitan Police.

He then transferred to the Avon and Somerset Constabulary and in March 2000 was appointed chief constable of Dyfed-Powys.

Mr Arundale paid tribute to Mr Grange on behalf of Dyfed-Powys Police and offered his condolences to his wife and family.

"The work carried out by Terence Grange during the seven years he was chief constable of Dyfed-Powys has had a lasting impact throughout the UK," he said.

"He was the lead officer for the police service in England and Wales on child abuse and the management of dangerous offenders."

Mr Arundale said Mr Grange helped to create a national police policy and legislation in these areas, and in other issues involving violence within and outside families.

"His work with the Probation Service and the National Offender Management Service was critical in creating arrangements for the monitoring of sex offenders in the community and with the government in piloting Sarah's Law," he said.


Mr Grange's retirement in 2007 followed a scandal over the misuse of a corporate credit card and anomalies in his expenses.

In May 2008 an Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) inquiry found he misused a work computer and a corporate credit card while having an affair.

The claims were made after his former lover complained to the IPCC two months after their affair ended.

Prosecutors found insufficient evidence to charge him with misconduct in public office.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.