North East Wales

Footballers rape trial: Woman 'drunk in Rhyl takeaway'

Ched Evans (left) and Clayton McDonald at Caernarfon Crown Court
Image caption Ched Evans (left) and Clayton McDonald at Caernarfon Crown Court

A court has heard that a 19-year-old woman allegedly raped by two footballers at a hotel had been seen "very drunk" in a takeaway.

Wales and Sheffield United striker Ched Evans, and Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, both 23, deny the attack at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

Sohail Aslam, owner of the Godfather kebab shop in Rhyl, told Caernarfon Crown Court the alleged victim fell down two or three times in his shop.

The trial continues.

Mr Aslam told the court: "She never used to be that drunk but she was very drunk that night."

The court has previously heard that both men admitted having sex with the 19-year-old in the early hours of 30 May 2011, but the prosecution say she was too drunk to consent.

The jury has seen video interviews in which the woman, now 20, said she could not remember what happened and feared her drinks were spiked.

The woman said she did not remember leaving, but had a "vague recollection of being in a kebab shop".

'Just a blur'

She said she had tried to grab a piece of a man's pizza, adding: "It's just a blur. I just remember being there and eating a pizza."

The woman said she could not remember travelling to the Premier Inn at Rhuddlan, but woke up naked in a double bed.

"My clothes were scattered around on the floor," she said.

"I just didn't know how I got there, if I had gone there with anyone. I was confused and dazed."

She added: "I just wanted to get out of the room and find out how I got there."

Duing cross-examination, it was suggested she knew what had happened, but woke up embarrassed, to which she replied: "No."

The prosecution also claims that while the alleged attack happened, Jack Higgins, an "associate" of the footballers, and Ryan Roberts, Mr Evans' brother, watched through a window.

Video recordings found on Mr Higgins' phone showed he had been filming or trying to film the incident, the court heard.

The jury is expected to start hearing the defendants' case on Tuesday.

More on this story