North East Wales

Footballers rape trial: Ched Evans claims woman consented to sex

Wales and Sheffield United striker Ched Evans has rejected claims he raped a woman at a hotel, telling a jury she consented to sex.

Mr Evans and Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, both 23, deny rape at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

Both admit having sex on 30 May 2011 but the prosecution say the woman, 19 at the time, was too drunk to consent.

Mr Evans has been giving evidence at Caernarfon Crown Court on Tuesday.

He was asked by his defence barrister, David Fish QC: "Did you in the early hours of that morning of May 30 at the Premier Inn have sexual intercourse with her?"

Mr Evans replied: "Yes."

The QC asked: "Did she consent?"

Mr Evans said: "Yes."

Mr Fish asked: "Did you have any reason or did she give you any signal which caused you to believe she wasn't consenting?"

He said: "No."

Night out

Mr Evans told the jury he had no previous convictions but in July 2010 he received a police caution for making a false representation.

Mr Evans explained that his mobile phone was stolen from a bar.

"I told my insurance company that it fell in a pond," he said.

Mr Evans started his career at Manchester City and in 2007 made his senior debut in the League Cup.

He was then loaned to Norwich City before joining Sheffield United for £3m three years ago, and has scored 35 goals this season.

He has also won 13 senior Wales caps.

The jury heard that he met Clayton McDonald while at Manchester City's youth academy when they were both assigned to live with the same family.

The two had been on holiday together to Cyprus and Miami and never had any problems between themselves or with anyone else before, Mr Evans said.

He also explained that at the time of the alleged attack he had been seeing his girlfriend for around 18 months and was still with her now.

Mr Evans insisted in evidence that it was not his idea "to get a girl at all costs this night".

Earlier, Mr McDonald denied that they were using the woman for their own gratification.

Mr McDonald told Caernarfon Crown Court that he met the woman in the street after a night out with Mr Evans.

The trial has been adjourned until Wednesday.

More on this story