Gabor Sarkozi murder trial: Witnesses saw man 'punched and stamped on'

image captionMr Sarkozi died after he was attacked on 18 October last year

A witness has told a murder trial how she saw a man lying on the ground being punched and stamped on.

Gary Bland, 41, and nephew James Siree, 22, both of Rhyl, deny murdering Gabor Sarkozi, who worked for a take-away at Meliden near Prestatyn, Denbighshire.

The prosecution at Mold Crown Court say the delivery driver died last October after being attacked twice by two men.

Another witness told the jury he saw something being kicked on the floor "like a football".

Another witness, Doreen Clements told the trial she was a passenger in her husband's car as they travelled home from a church meeting along the Meliden to Rhyl road when she saw an incident.

"The person on the right hand side was punching and then stamping on the person on the ground," she said.

"The one on the other side at that particular time did not seem to be doing anything."

The prosecution say that Mr Sarkozi was attacked twice by two men, once near the village of Meliden and later close to the Happy Garden chip shop where he worked.

On Monday, the prosecution called witnesses who they say saw parts of the first attack on Dyserth Road.

In his evidence, coach driver John Clements said that he saw what he believed to be two men in a fight and one of them was kicking an object on the floor "like a football".

image captionPolice seal off the a street in Meliden in October 2011

David Jones, of Rhyl, told how he was returning home from work when he saw two men kicking at something or someone on the floor.

"They were both crouched over. I could see kicking going on," he said.

Earlier, a young woman said that she saw the two defendants and visited a local shop with them.

She said that they were "loud and drunk" and were walking in the middle of the road at one stage.

A car beeped its horn and the driver had to brake sharply. A passing police officer wound his window down and warned them to stay on the pavement.

Cyclist James Coates told how he felt "slightly uneasy" about the demeanour of the two hooded men he saw. He said one had staring eyes. They were walking faster than a man walking ahead of them.

The prosecution say that a second attack took place in the village before the defendants fled across a field.

They were arrested a short time later by police and were found to have blood on their clothing and footwear which forensically linked them to a kicking assault on Mr Sarkozi, claimed prosecutor Elwen Evans QC, previously.

The trial, before Mr Justice Griffith Williams, resumed on Monday after being adjourned from last week.

More on this story