North East Wales

Wrexham-Chester match at Racecourse passes off peacefully

Police vans outside Racecourse stadium
Image caption The Racecourse stadium saw tighter security as Wrexham hosted rivals Chester

The first Wrexham-Chester football match in four years has passed off peacefully amid tightened security.

Admission was by ticket only and Chester fans had to use official coaches to arrive and leave the ground as supporters have clashed in the past.

Racecourse owners Glyndwr University said an increase in security and trained stewards had been agreed with fans' best interests at heart.

Six thousand fans including 800 from Chester saw the visitors win 2-0.

Two Wrexham fans were arrested for being drunk and disorderly and a third for assault. A Chester fan was also arrested for assault.

'Safe and successful'

North Wales Police officers wearing public order clothing could be seen near the ground while the force helicopter could be heard overhead.

Ch Insp Dave Owens, the force's lead officer for the match, said: "I would like to thank both clubs for their support, particularly in relation to the transport arrangements that undoubtedly helped to ensure that this was a safe and successful event."

The teams met in the Conference Premier following Chester's promotion as Conference North champions last season.

Chester's first win of the season gave them belated revenge for Wrexham's victory the last time the teams met at their own Deva Stadium.

Jo Smith, Glyndwr University stadium safety officer, said: "Glyndwr University has worked closely with North Wales Police, Wrexham AFC, the local council and the emergency services to ensure both Chester and Wrexham fans enjoy the match in safe and secure surroundings.

"This includes an increase in security and trained stewards.

"We have cooperated fully with their requests and have a great working relationship which has the best interests of supporters and the community at heart."

Safety precautions included the cancellation of the usual matchday parking at the adjacent university campus while Mold Road remained closed outside the Racecourse until 15:30 BST to allow fans to leave the stadium.

More on this story

Around the BBC