North East Wales

Yale Howarth inquest: Pupil found dead after sex comments

Yale Howarth Image copyright via Facebook
Image caption Friends set up a tribute page on Facebook after Yale's death

A 15-year-old boy was found hanged after claims he may have had sex with a fellow pupil at his school, an inquest heard.

Yale Howarth was spoken to by staff at Ysgol Dinas Bran in Llangollen, Denbighshire, after the girl said she was not sure if she had sex with a boy at a party, before later naming him.

He was found by his father at the family home in Chirk in January 2013 and died the next day in hospital.

The inquest is due to last three days.

During the hearing, Sally Roberts, assistant learning manager at the school, said the female pupil told her she had been to a party and "she didn't know if she'd had sex with a boy or not".

Initially, the girl did not name any individuals, and was taken to a local chemist where she was given a morning after pill.

Later, she named the boy as Yale and, on 22 January, he was spoken to by staff at the school, the inquest was told.

The girl also told the school's inclusion manager Wendy Gwilliam she had been to a party and "was drunk and didn't remember anything". The girl also told her: "I don't know if I had sex."

Ms Gwilliam said she believed she had to report the incident because she knew the girl had been drunk.

Image copyright Google
Image caption Yale was a pupil at Ysgol Dinas Bran in Llangollen

After discussions with colleagues, they contacted social services the following day, who said the matter needed to be referred to the child protection team.

Ms Gwilliam said social services also advised them to speak to Yale about the matter.

In written statements, Yale's parents, Mark and Della, said they had no idea what happened at school earlier that day as their son returned home as normal and went into their converted garage which he used to rehearse with his band.

They tried to resuscitate him using CPR after finding him in the garage.

They alerted paramedics who took him to Wrexham Maelor Hospital, where he died.

Related Topics