Ruthin's restored Lord's Garden opens at Nantclwyd y Dre
A medieval Denbighshire townhouse garden has been officially reopened following a £220,000 restoration project.
Over 100 volunteers helped with the overhaul at the Lord's Garden at Nantclwyd y Dre in Ruthin.
It was built in 1435 and is considered to be Wales' oldest dated timbered town house.
The Grade II-listed gardens, originally known as The Lord's Acre, pre-date the structure.
They are first mentioned in 1282 as having been awarded to Marcher Lord Reginald de Grey along with Ruthin Castle, in recognition of the part he played in subduing an uprising by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the last native prince of an independent Wales.
The Lord's Acre appears to have remained an orchard and kitchen garden to the castle's occupants for around 350 years, and many of the fruit trees there date from between 1300 and 1600.
By the time of the English Civil War in the 1640s, the Lord's Acre passed to the Nantclwyd y Dre estate, and the focus seems to have shifted more towards meadowland and ornamental gardens.
The Heritage Lottery Fund helped to finance the project with Denbighshire council, Ruthin Town Council and the Friends of Nantclwyd y Dre.