North East Wales

Toddler Malaki Hughes' fireplace fall death 'accidental'

Countess of Chester Hospital Image copyright Google

A two-year-old boy from Flintshire died when a heavy wooden fire surround fell on him, an inquest has heard.

Malaki Leo Boadu Hughes, from Saltney, Flintshire, was fatally injured in the incident at his grandmother's house on 12 September last year.

The hearing was told Carole Hughes left him on a sofa to go upstairs before she heard an "almighty crash".

Coroner John Gittins recorded an accidental conclusion at the hearing in Ruthin.

In a statement read to the court Mrs Hughes said: "It [the crash] was so loud that I was immediately in a panic."

She ran downstairs to find the fire surround on top of Malaki and managed to move it off him but he was not responding.

He was given CPR until an ambulance crew took over on arrival.

Malaki was taken to the Countess of Chester hospital where his death was confirmed.

A post mortem examination found he died from a traumatic rupture of the heart.

Related Topics

More on this story