North East Wales

Wrexham kitchen destroyed after firework set off by child

Fire damage at house Image copyright North Wales Fire and Rescue

A kitchen was totally destroyed after a young child set off a firework in a house in Wrexham on Monday morning.

A 999 call was made to North Wales Fire Service at 08:20 BST after the firework was ignited.

A man, woman and three children, aged eight, four and one, escaped without injury, with the property in Cefn Mawr damaged throughout by smoke.

Occupier Jess Smith said: "It only took a minute for the firework to go off and completely destroy the kitchen."

"We were lucky to escape from the property unharmed this morning and my advice to everyone would be never store fireworks in the house," she added.

"Please do not think that this type of incident will not happen to you because it can easily happen to anyone and ensure that you have educated your children about the dangers of fireworks."

Tim Owen, from the fire service, said: "This incident highlights the dangers of fireworks if not used correctly.

"This firework was accessible and ignited by a young child. Our message is always keep fireworks in a closed box, away from children, as well as lighters and matches. This family have been lucky this morning that no-one was injured.

"We cannot over emphasise that the best way to reduce the number of injuries during bonfire celebrations is by attending organised events," he added.