North West Wales

Sauna sparks fire at Llanberis holiday home

Photo of the scene - Gareth Aston
Image caption This photo was taken by a local resident

A faulty sauna is being blamed for starting a fire at a holiday home in the centre of Llanberis, Gwynedd.

Firefighters were called to the four-storey property in High Street in the town at 05:00 BST on Friday.

The North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said those inside the building were safely evacuated after the alarm had been raised.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze in the basement. Three crews remain at the scene.

Gareth Aston who lives opposite the property said he became aware there was a problem when he heard the fire alarm.

"We heard the alarm from the building and got up to have a look and we saw a group of youths coming out," he said.

"When the fire service arrived, you could see smoke billowing out of the front but no flames."

He said the building was often used to accommodate people who were on activity breaks in the area.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites