Carl Sargeant's son on Labour's by-election shortlist
The son of former Welsh minister Carl Sargeant has confirmed he has been shortlisted by Labour to fight the by-election following his father's death.
Jack Sargeant, 23, said he was "very pleased to have crossed this first hurdle in the process".
Carl Sargeant was found dead four days after being sacked amid allegations about his conduct towards women.
Labour party members in Alyn and Deeside will hold their final selection meeting early in the new year.
- Sargeant's son in by-election bid
- Timeline: The death of Carl Sargeant
- Carl Sargeant: Profile of AM's career
- Inquiry into Sargeant sacking leak claim
Jack Sargeant said: "I'm very pleased to have crossed this first hurdle in the process.
"I now look forward to the final selection meeting early in the new year, when I will have the opportunity to set out my vision - directly to local party members.
"Labour values run deep is this part of north east Wales - they define our community.
"The by-election on Tuesday 6 February will be important in ensuring we can continue to put those values into action for everyone in Alyn and Deeside.
"That's why I've put my name forward to be the Labour candidate."
BBC Wales understands the other names on Labour's shortlist are Flintshire county councillor Carolyn Thomas and Saltney town councillor Hannah Jones.
The Conservatives, Plaid Cymru and the Liberal Democrats have all confirmed they will be fielding candidates.
UKIP Wales leader Neil Hamilton said: "UKIP will not field a candidate in the by-election if Jack Sargeant is a candidate, out of respect to the late Carl Sargeant."
The former Welsh Government minister was facing a Labour Party inquiry into allegations of inappropriate conduct towards a number of women when he was found dead at his home in Connah's Quay, Flintshire, in November. It is believed he took his own life.
A QC will examine the circumstances leading up to Mr Sargeant's death, and how First Minister Carwyn Jones handled the matter.
Labour announced earlier in December that its own inquiry into the allegations against him would not continue.