Monmouth car chase woman escaped armed ex-partner

Image caption,
Peter Slaughter admitted possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence

A woman was chased in her car by her shotgun-wielding ex-partner after he threatened to kill her, a court heard.

Kate Brown, 39, ran red lights to escape Peter Slaughter, 48, who earlier held the weapon to her face, saying: "Today's the day you're going to die."

The chase ended when she attracted police attention by driving repeatedly round a roundabout in Monmouth.

Slaughter, of Hildersley, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, was jailed for four-and-a-half years at Cardiff Crown Court.

The court heard that Slaughter, a landscape gardener, and Mrs Brown had broken up a month beforehand.

Mistakenly believing she had started a new relationship with a local farmer, Slaughter armed himself with a double-barrelled shotgun and drove to Mrs Brown's stables.

The jury heard she was mucking out her horses when Slaughter burst in and said he would kill her, the local farmer and then himself.

"Slaughter then pointed the gun at her face before hitting her with the butt of the gun," said prosecutor Martin Kelly.

To calm him down Mrs Brown kissed Slaughter and told him she loved him, said Mr Kelly.

After Slaughter agreed to go to her home nearby to talk about their relationship she sped off in her car.

Still armed with the shotgun Slaughter chased her into Monmouth.

Mr Kelly said: "She was running red lights and driving really fast - she thought if she stopped Slaughter would walk up to her and shoot her."

When police officers saw her driving round the roundabout they realised what was happening and arrested father-of-two Slaughter on the spot.

Slaughter had lived with Mrs Brown during their three-year relationship but separated on Boxing Day 2009.


Self-employed Slaughter, admitted possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

He was placed under an indefinite restraining order preventing him from contacting either Mrs Brown or the local farmer.

The court was told that she was not in a relationship with Mr King or anyone else.

After the hearing Det Con James Buckley said: "This was a particularly nasty and distressing incident and the victim showed great bravery," he said.