South East Wales

Fire caused as power surge hits 160 homes in Aberdare

Electricity is being restored to over 160 homes in the south Wales valleys town of Aberdare after a power surge which cut supplies and caused a TV fire in one property.

An elderly woman needed oxygen after suffering smoke inhalation in the incident in Dumfries Place.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service had a call-out at 20:12 BST on Tuesday.

Western Power said the problem was resolved but engineers have to visit homes to attend customers' fuse boxes.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites