South East Wales

Maesteg murder: Police continue hunt for double-stab killer

Thomas Sutton
Image caption Thomas Sutton had a "heart of gold," his mother said

Police are continuing to search for a double-stabbing killer following a murder in a south Wales village.

Emergency services were called to Nantyffyllon, near Maesteg, on Tuesday night after a man and a teenager were found with stab wounds.

Thomas Sutton, 20, died in hospital. A youth, 17, is in a critical condition.

On Wednesday, South Wales Police said they were making "progress" in the hunt, but there were no known developments overnight.

Police named the dead man as Thomas Sutton, 20, from Victoria Street, Caerau.

The injured teenager has been named locally as Kyle Harris, 17, and he is being treated at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

Police have searched undergrowth near the scene at Tonna Road, which remains closed.

Tents erected by forensic officers have been taken down.

Police are keen to reassure local people that "everything is being done to arrest the person responsible", and community support officers have been speaking to residents.

On Wednesday, Mr Sutton's mother, Joanne, 42, told Wales Online: "He would have done anything for me.

"He had a heart of gold. We are just numb today."

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said the area was shocked by the death.

"It's a bit sad - a 20-year-old boy - a waste of a life," he said.

Image caption Forensic officers' tents have since been taken down

"I grew up with him since he was about three or four. I know his father well. I was in school with his father. It's just sad isn't it?"

Another resident said: "I feel a bit on edge.

"I know a lot of people are fearful to be leaving their homes today.

"But there is this sense of community spirit as well, and it's bringing people together.

"It's making a lot of people speak to people more.

"A lot of women are fearful, really fearful and shocked."

She said it was a "quiet, lovely community," but there had been a stabbing in the area about six months ago, adding: "What's going to happen next?"

Floral tributes have been left near the scene. An incident room was set up at Bridgend police station.

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Hurley, who is leading the inquiry, said emergency services were called at about 21:00 BST to a report of a serious incident on Tonna Road, Maesteg.

He is appealing for anyone who was in the Tonna Road area between 19:00 BST and 21:30 BST on Tuesday and saw anything suspicious, to contact police.

Anyone with information should contact the incident room at Bridgend Police Station on 01656 306099 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites