South East Wales

Newport shooting: Caroline Parry was shot in back says coroner

Emergency services at the scene
Image caption Emergency services dealing with the aftermath of the shooting in Seabreeze Avenue, Newport earlier this month

A woman who died after a shooting in a Newport street had been shot in the back, a coroner in the city has said.

Caroline Parry, 46, was found in Seabreeze Avenue on 8 August along with her estranged husband Christopher, 49, who had gunshot wounds to his face.

David Bowen adjourned his investigation into Mrs Parry's death for three months. Police are still waiting to speak to Mr Parry who is in hospital.

The IPCC is looking at the role of the police in the lead up to the shooting.

Gwent Coroner's Court heard how Mrs Parry was shot in the Willenhall Street area of Newport.

Police found her lying dead with gunshot wounds to her back.

A man was found nearby with gunshot wounds to his face.

A shotgun and ammunition were also found.

The coroner heard that the post-mortem examination on Mrs Parry's body took place at Cardiff's University Hospital of Wales and the cause of her death was given as shotgun wounds to the back of the chest.

Mrs Parry's body was released to the family so a funeral could be held.

The coroner's investigation has been adjourned while police continue their inquiries.

Guns recovered

In the days following the shooting, police recovered three guns legally held by Mr Parry from a house in Cwmbran.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) - the police watchdog - confirmed it was investigating if police had linked three call-outs to the couple in the months before.

Mrs Parry, who was a mother, had moved to Newport from her home in Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran, it is understood.

On the morning of the shooting, armed officers from Gwent Police were called to Seabreeze Avenue, off Corporation Road at 08:45 BST where she and her husband were found lying in the road.

Neighbours reported hearing three gunshots before finding the couple.

Both were taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital.

Mr Parry was initially said to be critically ill, but after surgery police have said he remains in a stable condition.

Medical specialists were to decide when Mr Parry was able to speak to police about what had happened.

The IPCC is also carrying out inquiries, specifically about three incidents in which the couple were involved between May and July and Gwent Police's involvement.

IPCC commissioner Tom Davies said the investigation will establish how the incidents were risk assessed, how Gwent Police officers dealt with them and whether it had linked the incidents.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites