South East Wales

Newport shooting: Estranged husband Christopher Parry out of hospital

Emergency services were called to Seabreeze Avenue, Newport, on 8 August
Image caption Armed officers were called to Seabreeze Avenue, Newport, on 8 August

A man who was critically injured in a shooting in which his estranged wife died has been released from hospital.

Christopher Parry, 49, suffered gunshot wounds to the head while his wife Caroline, 46, died in the incident in the centre of Newport on 8 August.

Gwent Police say Mr Parry is now being treated at an "appropriate facility" but has not yet been questioned.

Mrs Parry's funeral was held last month.

A police spokesperson said: "The 49-year-old male who has been under the care of Royal Gwent Hospital since the shooting incident on Seabreeze Avenue, Newport on August 8th is now no longer receiving treatment at that hospital but continues to receive treatment at an appropriate facility.

"The officers involved in the investigation will speak with him as soon as his health permits."

Armed officers were called to Seabreeze Avenue on the morning of the shooting.

Mrs Parry and her husband were found lying in the road after neighbours reported hearing three gunshots.

It is understood Mrs Parry had moved to Newport from her home in Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran.

Earlier this month, Gwent Coroner's Court heard how Mrs Parry was found lying dead with gunshot wounds to her back and Mr Parry was found nearby with gunshot wounds to his face.

Image caption Caroline Parry was found fatally injured in a Newport street

A shotgun and ammunition were also found.

Coroner David Bowen adjourned his investigation into Mrs Parry's death for three months while the police continue to investigate.

Mr Parry has been at the Royal Gwent hospital in Newport since the day of the shooting.

In the days after the incident, police recovered three guns legally held by Mr Parry from a house in Cwmbran.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is looking at the role of Gwent Police in the months before the shooting.

The police watchdog confirmed it was investigating if police had linked three call-outs to the couple between May and July.

IPCC commissioner Tom Davies said the investigation would also establish how the incidents were risk assessed and how Gwent Police officers dealt with them.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites