M4 Brynglas tunnel to shut eastbound as part of upgrade
A stretch of the M4 motorway is closed eastbound at Newport from Saturday evening to Sunday morning as the Brynglas tunnels upgrade continues.
Eastbound traffic between junctions 28 for Tredegar Park and 24 for the Coldra has been diverted via the A48 Southern Distributor Road.
The tunnel, just after junction 26 at Malpas, closed at 19:00 GMT on Saturday and will reopen on Sunday at 10:00.
- Tunnels 'cost £31m in lost time' a year
- 'Unique' tunnels celebrate 50th birthday
- 'The M4 is of vital importance to the Welsh economy'
This weekend's 15-hour closure is the first of five weekends of Saturday night/Sunday morning shutdowns.
The Welsh Government, which says the Brynglas tunnel refurbishments will finish in spring 2018, said the tunnels were built under old design standards and were no longer compliant.
The Usk River bridge and Malpas junction viaduct, either side of the tunnels, are also undergoing maintenance.
Scheduled Brynglas tunnels Saturday night/Sunday morning closures
- 19:00 on 4 November - 10:00 5 November
- 19:00 on 11 November - 10:00 12 November
- 19:00 on 18 November - 10:00 19 November
- 19:00 on 25 November - 10:00 26 November
- 19:00 on 2 December - 10:00 3 December