Mumbles pier fire: Not suspicious say investigators
A fire which damaged Mumbles pier near Swansea is not thought to be suspicious, say investigators.
Crews from across Swansea were called to the blaze, which started about 200m along the Victorian pier at 01:20 BST Saturday.
Decking was damaged but the main structure of the 114-year-old pier, which is undergoing renovation, was unaffected.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
Equipment being used by contractors building the new Mumbles lifeboat station was also damaged in the blaze.
John Bollom, the managing director of Mumbles pier, has previously said damage was confined to the wooden decking area, and that the pier's main structure was fine.
Mr Bollom said police told him a spark from blowtorch work may have been to blame.
"With the old timber that's there, things can be left smouldering without really realising it and it's not until later on, and the wind whips up and what have you, that these things come to life," he told BBC Radio Wales.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said four fire crews were sent to the blaze.
The Mumbles RNLI all-weather lifeboat was launched with a firefighter on board so he could assess the underside of the pier, while the RNLI inshore lifeboat was moved for safety reasons as firefighters pulled up pier decking.
The fire service's head of Swansea command, Richard Webborn, said: "I commend the actions of the attending crews for their swift efforts to bring the fire under control and for limiting the damage to this iconic pier."