Toilet rat attack on elderly man in County Cork sparks warning
The people of Midleton, County Cork, in the Republic of Ireland, have been warned to check their toilets after an elderly man was bitten on the bottom by a rat.
The man was taken to hospital for treatment following the incident, The Evening Echo reports.
He later complained to local councillor, Noel Collins.
Mr Collins said the council had a responsibility to investigate the incident.
Speaking at a meeting of the Southern Committee of Cork County council on Thursday evening, he asked whether it would be possible to flush rat poison through the sewer system.
"Flooding has resulted in another problem for residents, that of rat infestation, which really upsets many families, mentally and physically", he said.
"One elderly gentleman suffered a rat bite to his posterior while using his toilet, and had to receive immediate medical attention."
It is understood that a plumber found a broken sewer pipe nearby, which is believed to have allowed the rat to enter the system.
The council said flushing rat poison through the public system could lead to contamination of other water sources.
It also said that Irish Water were responsible for vermin control within the system.
Cllr Collins added: "I would advise homeowners to keep their toilet seats down when not in use, and to watch their posteriors."