Bollywood stars flee 'Make in India' fire in Mumbai

Participants leave an arena after a fire broke out during an event held as part of the "Make in India Week" in Mumbai on February 14, 2016. Image copyright AFP/Getty
Image caption The blaze at the Chowpatty Beach stage was caused by a short circuit

Bollywood actors Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan were among those who had to be evacuated when a big fire broke out at a lavish cultural show in Mumbai.

The show was part of an economic event, "Make in India", designed to encourage foreign investment.

Video from the scene, in an enclosure on Chowpatty Beach, showed the fire blazing under a stage as dancers up above continued their act.

VIPs including the state chief minister had to wave at them to stop.

Reports say the blaze, caused by a short circuit, was brought under control and no-one was hurt.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption The damage appears extensive but there were no casualties

Related Topics

More on this story