China media: National Day travel chaos
China's media highlight travelling and tourism chaos during the National Day holidays, while netizens remember the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown.
Media outlets are reporting major traffic congestion on motorways as people travel between cities for the week-long National Day holiday that started on Tuesday.
Hong Kong's Oriental Daily News reports that tens of thousands of people improvised by using different forms of entertainment - including dancing, dog-walking, card games and shuttlecock - to kill time as traffic came to a halt on motorways.
Meanwhile, China's new tourism law, which stipulates penalties for tourists who engage in spitting, queue-jumping, vandalism and other "uncivilised behaviour", also came into effect on National Day.
However, a China Central Television reporter said around five tonnes of rubbish was collected in Tiananmen Square after more than 110,000 people watched the raising of the national flag on Tuesday morning.
"People leaving five tonnes of garbage in Tiananmen Square is tantamount to a 'collective' mirror. It has reflected the shortcomings of the quality of our civilisation and reflected the gaps behind our patriotic fervour," commented the Beijing Youth Daily.
In the capital, The Beijing News features photos of "uncivilised" tourists ignoring "no climbing signs" and walking along the ruined walls of the Qing Dynasty era Yuanming Yuan (former Summer Palace).
Meanwhile, in eastern Nanjing, another ancient imperial capital, the Modern Express complains of tourists clambering up a 600-year-old stone city wall and sitting on stone animal statues guarding Ming Dynasty emperors' tombs.
The new tourism law will also punish tour operators who refuse to let tourists leave designated stores until they buy something. Many tour operators rely heavily on earning commissions from such shops.
Meanwhile, the Oriental Daily News and other Hong Kong newspapers say many mainland bloggers held "online vigils" on the 64th National Day to commemorate the victims of the Tiananmen Square military crackdown that took place on 4 June 1989.
Many of the posts and reposts were deleted by online censors.
The South China Morning Post says one blogger in eastern Zhejiang province posted a photo of what appeared to be an official flower display with the number "64" and the Chinese words "hard to forget".
"It offered a message completely in tune with the sentiment of many microbloggers, who quickly reposted it with their own words of support," the newspaper adds.
Apple Daily says other internet users called on society to remember Xia Junfeng, a hawker who was executed last week for killing two urban management officers.
The South China Morning Post says more than 100 mourners, including many sympathetic netizens, attended Mr Xia's funeral in northeast Shenyang on Tuesday.
Angry internet users compared Mr Xia's execution with the suspended death sentence handed to former Chongqing party boss Bo Xilai's wife Gu Kailai, who was charged with murdering British businessman Neil Heywood.
Zhang Jing, the widow of Xia Junfeng, says she will continue to seek redress for her husband who she insists killed the officers in self-defence because they had allegedly detained and beaten him, the newspaper adds.
However, the father of one of the killed urban inspectors tells The Beijing News that the families of the dead will seek compensation from the Xia family. They have also asked the government to grant posthumous honours to the inspectors for sacrificing their lives in the course of their duties.
"The government is the government. Xia Junfeng is Xia Junfeng. These are two different things. A lot of people are making an issue out of the 900,000 yuan [compensation granted by the government]. If my son could come back, I would give the 900,000 to the Xia family," Shen Xiangdang tells the newspaper.