Australia

Australian teen pleads guilty to terror charge

A close up of the Australian Federal Police badge Image copyright Scott Barbour/Getty Images
Image caption Local media reports the boy pleaded guilty to planning an attack on Mother's Day in Melbourne this year

An Australian teenager detained during raids in Melbourne in May has pleaded guilty to a terror-related charge.

The 17-year-old boy pleaded guilty to engaging in an act in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act between 25 April and 8 May this year.

He admitted the charge ahead of a committal hearing and prosecutors dropped two other charges.

Earlier hearings were told he prepared to make explosives after obtaining instructions online, said local media.

His computer had contained encrypted documents detailing how to make bombs, and police had also seized pressure cookers, a powder containing ground-up matchstick heads, and pipes connected to caps, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported.

Police also told the court radical Islamic propaganda was found during the raids.

The boy was initially also charged with possessing items connected with a terrorist act, and failing to provide a password, but prosecutors later dropped those charges, reported the AAP.

The boy did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody. He is set to appear in court again on Thursday.

A 15-year-old was arrested last week and was among several charged with conspiring to prepare for a terrorist act.

Related Topics

More on this story