Brussels attacks: Bombed Maelbeek metro station re-opens
The Brussels metro station where 16 people were killed by a suicide bomber last month has re-opened.
A bomb was detonated on board a train pulling out of Maelbeek station, close to the European institutions, in the morning rush hour on 22 March. The attack followed suicide bombs at Brussels airport which also killed 16.
People can write their tributes to the victims on a commemorative wall inside Maelbeek station.
The metro system is now fully open.
The Brussels public transport authority (Stib) said that military and police officers would be present to "ensure the security of the entire network".
The metro would be running to the same timetable as before the attacks; however, the number of entry points is limited to one or two per station, Stib said. Since the attacks, the metro system had been running from 06:00 to 22:00 but on Monday resumed its normal hours of 04:30 to 00:30.
Survivors and relatives of the victims were able to visit the station on Saturday, before it re-opened.
The explosion on 22 March did not damage the structure of the metro station, according to Stib; the work carried out included re-tiling and painting.
A commemorative art work will eventually replace the tribute wall.