Dublin: Luas dispute ends with pay rise offer
A dispute that led to strikes by drivers of the Luas, Dublin's public tram system, has ended after staff voted to accept pay rises of up to 18%.
The four-month stand off between workers and management resulted in 12 full days of strike action, affecting hundreds of thousands of passengers.
It was resolved on Friday after 66% of Luas drivers voted to accept a pay rise deal recommended by the Labour Court.
Irish Transport Minister Shane Ross welcomed the results of the ballot.
He said it was a positive outcome for the travelling public.
The drivers were represented by the Services Industrial Professional and Technical Union (SIPTU).
Owen Reidy from SIPTU said the Labour Court recommendation would see drivers in line for pay increases of between 15% and 18% over the next four years.
However Luas operator, Transdev Ireland, said the dispute had been difficult and damaging for the firm, its staff and its customers.
Gerry Madden from Transdev told Irish state broadcaster RTÉ: "We've said all along there would be no winners in this - the company hasn't won, I don't think SIPTU will be saying they've won, the customers haven't won."