Jersey

Jersey fire warning over festive decorations and candles

Firefighter inspects Damage caused by fire in St Helier flat
Image caption Mr Le Cornu said islanders needed to be aware of the extra fire hazards during the festive season

Two fires in Jersey thought to be caused by Christmas candles or decorative lighting, has prompted a warning from the fire service.

The cause of a blaze in a St Helier flat was suspected to be an electrical fault with Christmas tree lights.

A separate fire, started by a candle, was tackled by the householder.

Station Manager Marc Le Cornu urged islanders to ensure electrical decorations were checked and candles were not left burning unattended.

He said: "We expect that many families will be putting up their Christmas decorations over the next couple of weeks and these unfortunate incidents serve as a timely reminder of the potential fire hazards associated with the festive period.

"We would ask people to ensure that their Christmas lights are checked thoroughly before use to ensure that they are in a suitable condition with the correct bulbs being used.

"[Also] to ensure that all Christmas lights are turned off at the mains when not in the building and before going to bed."

Mr Le Cornu said: "Additionally, candles are also a common addition at Christmas and it is essential to ensure that candles are never put near Christmas trees, other decorations or furnishings and that they are never left burning unattended."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites