Egypt's revolution: Interactive map

Egypt: timeline of unrest

Egypt's revolution began on 25 January, the "Day of Revolt", when tens of thousands of marchers occupied Cairo's Tahrir Square to protest against President Hosni Mubarak and his government. Simultaneous protests were held in Ismailiya, Alexandria and Suez. In the following days the demonstrations became more violent. Police fired rubber bullets and water cannons to repel protesters. A curfew was enforced, the army was deployed and the internet was shut down by the government.

Week 1

The second week of protests featured running battles in Cairo between pro and anti-government demonstrators. The army ordered the protesters to leave Tahrir Square but instead they set up camp, erecting barricades and sleeping under tanks. On 4 February, the "Day of Departure", hundreds of thousands demonstrated in Cairo, with parallel protests in Mansoura and elsewhere. Tourist resorts were empty, the stock exchange was closed and government buildings blocked.

Week 2

The demonstration in Cairo grew during the third week. Parliament was blocked, medics walked out of hospitals and workers in Suez went on strike. As the country ground to a halt, rumours spread that President Mubarak would step down. On 10 February, thousands gathered in Tahrir Square and prepared to celebrate - but Mr Mubarak announced he would not quit. The following evening, after protesters marched on the Presidential Palace, he finally agreed to step aside.

Week 3

Week 1

25 Jan - "Day of Revolt"

Unrest in Egypt

The unrest began on 25 January, the "Day of Revolt", with demonstrations centred on Tahrir Square. Initially, protesters clashed with police, and tension mounted as the military staged an apparent show of strength on 30 January. The military later pledged not to use force against demonstrators.

25 Jan - Ismailiya clashes

On the first day of protests on 25 January, clashes were reported in the key port city of Ismailiya, north east of the capital, where police used gas and batons to disperse protesters. Protests two days later also turned violent as demonstrators again fought with police.

27 Jan - Sinai shooting

Young protestor in Sinai

On 27 January - day three of unrest - Bedouin demonstrator was shot dead in protests in the north of Egypt's Sinai region, bringing the overall death toll to seven. Bedouin, among nomadic tribes in Egypt's northeast Sinai region, often complain of neglect by the government.

28 Jan - Party HQ on fire

Unrest in Egypt

On 28 January violence broke out after Friday prayers in the capital. Protesters besieged key buildings around Tahir Square, including the foreign ministry and state broadcaster. The headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party was also set ablaze. At least five people died.

28 Jan - Water cannon attack

Unrest in Egypt

Demonstrators in Cairo were caught in amateur video footage praying on Cairo's Qasr El-Nile bridge despite being hit by water cannon. The BBC's Anna Adams said the film was uploaded to the internet by many protesters.

28 Jan - Police open fire

Protestors in Cairo

Police used rubber bullets and tear gas in clashes with protesters at the interior ministry on 28 January, day five of unrest. Tens of thousands of demonstrators had remained on the streets in defiance of a curfew. Looters broke into Cairo's famed Egyptian Museum, home to Tutankhamun's golden mask.

28 Jan - Suez violence

Unrest in Egypt

On the first day of protests, at least two demonstrators were killed in clashes with police in Suez. The following day petrol bombs were thrown at official buildings, and after Friday prayers on day four of unrest at least 13 people were killed in clashes, according to medical sources.

28 Jan - Giza protests

Unrest in Egypt

On 28 January, after Friday prayers, riot police used water cannon and tear gas to clear demonstrators in Giza, the suburb of the Cairo where the Pyramids and Sphinx are located. There were also reports of a police station being set on fire in the neighbourhood.

30 Jan - Alexandria funerals

Unrest in Egypt

Thousands joined demonstrations in Alexandria on the first day of unrest. The following Friday, protesters marched on a mosque, where the funerals of two demonstrators killed in clashes with police took place. Buildings were attacked and there was widespread looting reported.

Week 2

1 Feb - "March of millions"

On 1 February, more than a quarter of a million people flooded into the heart of Cairo to take part in a demonstration which became known as the "March of Millions". At that time it was the largest single protest of the campaign.

1 Feb - Pyramids deserted

Egypt's most famous tourists attraction, the pyramids in Giza - a suburb of the capital where the Pyramids and Sphinx are located - were closed on 1 February. Thousands of holiday-makers gathered at the airport trying to leave the country.

3 Feb - Violence in Tahrir

Tahrir Square continued to be the focus of protests during the second week. Violence erupted between supporters and opponents of President Hosni Mubarak on 2 and 3 February. Groups fought pitched battles into the night, in the worst violence in 10 days of protests.

3 Feb - Alexandria clashes

During the second week of protests, many thousands of people took to the streets on successive days in Alexandria. Demonstrations began peacefully, but turned violent on 3 February - day 10 of unrest. The BBC's Wyre Davies said law and order had broken down in many areas.

4 Feb - "Day of Departure"

On 4 February tens of thousands of Egyptians took part in a "day of departure" to try to oust President Hosni Mubarak. In the Nile Delta city of Mansoura, protesters gathered in the streets to chant slogans against Egypt's president.

7 Feb - Mogamma blocked

On the fourteenth day of protests, crowds of protesters formed a human chain around the Mugamma building - where people go to get official paperwork processed - to prevent it from opening. The BBC's Jon Leyne said there was deadlock between the demonstrators and the army.

7 Feb - Tourists vanish

Attempts to return Egypt to normality at the end of the second week of protests suffered a number of setbacks as demonstrators stood firm. Away from Cairo in the village of Nazlet Samman - near the Pyramids - BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson investigated the impact on people's livelihoods.

Week 3

8 Feb - Tahrir demo

On 8 February Egypt's transition government said it was developing a plan for the peaceful transfer of power. But despite their promises, hundreds of thousands of protesters poured into Cairo's Tahrir Square for the largest demonstration yet.

8 Feb - Parliament prayers

On 8 February anti-government protestors gathered to pray at the gates of the People's Assembly - the lower house of the Egyptian Parliament. The following day their protest grew and the gates were blocked.

8 Feb - Alexandria rally

In Alexandria on 8 February, hundreds of anti-Mubarak protesters held a rally against the Egyptian government. The banner, in Arabic, reads "Egypt, one nation, one blood".

9 Feb - Suez workers strike

At the Suez Canal, about 6,000 state workers went on strike on 9 February. The action did not affect the passage of ships.

9 Feb - Pyramids reopen

Egypt's most famous tourist attraction, the Pyramids of Giza, reopened to tourists on 9 February. But visitors were few and far between.

10 Feb - Mubarak defiant

On 10 February, thousands of protestors gathered in Tahrir Square for President Mubarak's televised address, after indications that he was ready to step down. But as it became clear that the president was determined to stay on, their celebrations quickly turned to anger.

11 Feb - TV station blocked

On 11 February there was a stand-off outside the offices of Egypt's state television station, with troops sealing off the building and keeping back a large crowd. Demonstrators blocked employees from entering and leaving, accusing them of negative reporting about the protests.

11 Feb - March on the palace

Protesters marched on Egypt's Presidential Palace on 11 February to repeat their calls for President Hosni Mubarak to step down immediately. The demonstration was sparked by Mr Mubarak's televised address the previous evening in which he refused to give up the presidency.

11 Feb - Mubarak resigns

On 11 February, after 18 days of street protests, news reached the demonstrators in Tahrir Square that President Hosni Mubarak had agreed to step down. Wild celebrations ensued.

More on This Story

Egypt transition

More Middle East stories