The case of a US official, reported to be a CIA contractor, accused of shooting two men in Pakistan has been adjourned until March 3.
Police in Lahore want to see Raymond Davis tried for murder, after he killed the men in Lahore last month, saying they were trying to rob him.
The US has argued for his release, saying he has diplomatic immunity.
Correspondents say the Pakistan government is under tremendous domestic pressure to put Mr Davis on trial.
The former soldier says he acted in self-defence after the victims attempted to rob him in a busy street in the eastern city of Lahore.
The BBC's Aleem Maqbool in Lahore says the case has exposed the mistrust that exists between the two supposed allies.
The revelation this week that Mr Davis was working as a CIA contractor for the US consulate in Lahore has complicated matters, our correspondent says.
The UK's Guardian newspaper disclosed the link on Sunday. US media outlets, including the New York Times, the Washington Post and AP, said they had held off publicising details about Mr Davis's employment status while the US tried to improve his security situation.