Maldives profile - Media
Private broadcasters operate alongside outlets run by Public Service Media, a state body.
Non-state media report coming under pressure, and Reporters Without Borders (RSF) says journalists operate in a climate of violence and impunity.
It says the government "continues to persecute the independent media", and that political parties are the main source of threats.
A 2016 law criminalised defamation, allowing the authorities to fine or close media for content deemed defamatory.
Raajje TV, a leading pro-opposition outlet, said in 2017 that the authorities were seeking to shut it down by imposing large fines under the legislation.
There were 270,000 internet users by June 2017 (Internetworldstats.com).
- Mihaaru - Dhivehi-language newspaper; its website publishes in English and Dhivehi
- Maldives Independent - news site, in English
- Sun Online - news site, in English and Dhivehi
- Miadhu - English-language pages
- Public Service Media - state-run, operates Television Maldives (TVM)
- DhiTV - private
- Raajje TV - private, pro-opposition
- Sangu TV - private
- VTV - private