US & Canada

School killer TJ Lane recaptured after Ohio jail break

In this March 19, 2013 file photo, T.J. Lane smirks as he listens to the judge during his sentencing in Chardon, Ohio. Ohio police said Thursday, Sept. 11, 2014, Image copyright AP
Image caption TJ Lane was 17 when he shot dead three students at an Ohio high school

A US teenager who shot dead three students is back in police custody after escaping from prison in the state of Ohio on Thursday.

TJ Lane, 19, was recaptured early on Friday. Local police tweeted "We got him... one more to go."

Lane is serving three life sentences after pleading guilty to the murders in Chardon High School in February 2012.

Two other inmates escaped in the same incident, including 45-year-old convicted robber Clifford Opperud.

Details of how the men escaped from the Allen Oakwood Correctional Institution have not been released, but local media reported they scaled a fence during a recreation break.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionAt his sentencing, Lane continued to taunt his victims' relatives

At around 02:00 local time (06:00 GMT) the Lima Police Department confirmed that "Thomas Michael 'TJ' Lane III is in custody. He has been returned to the prison."

Lane was armed with a pitchfork when he was recaptured, unconfirmed reports quoting police said.

The mother of one of Lane's victims earlier said she was fearful when she heard the news of his escape.

"I'm disgusted that it happened. I'm extremely scared and panic-stricken. I can't believe it", said Dina Parmertor, whose son Daniel, 16, was among the dead.

Clifford Opperud, who was serving a sentence for aggravated robbery, burglary and kidnapping, was caught at around 04:20 local time (08:20 GMT), police said.

A third inmate briefly escaped before being recaptured, police spokesman Andy Green said.

Image copyright Reuters
Image caption Lane was found competent to be tried as an adult for the Chardon High School attack

Lane pleaded guilty last year to three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault.

He used a .22-calibre pistol to fire 10 shots at a group of students in Chardon High School's cafeteria, killing Demetrius Hewlin, 16, and Russell King, 17, as well as Daniel Parmertor.

Three others were wounded in the attack, which took place when Lane was 17.

Despite evidence he suffered psychosis and hallucinations, he was found competent to be tried as an adult.

During his trial, Lane smirked and smiled as victims' relatives spoke. During his sentencing he wore a T-shirt with the word "Killer" written on it.

More on this story