Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Live Reporting

This is an automated feed overnight and at weekends

All times stated are UK

Get involved

  1. Ethiopian troops killed 45 civilians - rights body

    Ethiopia's human rights watchdog says government forces carried out a massacre of civilians last month in Amhara state.

    The Human Rights Commission said it had identified at least 45 civilian deaths, although the number was most likely higher as it couldn't investigate fully.

    The commission said victims had been targeted for allegedly supporting an ethnic Amhara militia.

    Eyewitnesses said they'd seen people shot dead on the streets as soldiers fought rebels in the town of Merawi.

    The government has not yet commented.

    Human rights groups have expressed concerns about a state of emergency in Amhara which has given the security forces increased powers.

  2. Islamic police arrest TikToker in northern Nigeria

    Mansur Abubakar

    BBC News, Abuja

    Officers of the Islamic Police known as Hisbah
    Image caption: The Islamic police in Kano state are empowered by law to arrest and prosecute offenders

    The Islamic police in Nigeria’s northern state of Kano say they have arrested a popular female TikToker for posting “indecent and un-Islamic” content on the social media app.

    Two weeks ago the police unit, known as Hisbah, launched a manhunt for six TikTokers who they say constantly violate Islamic guidelines in their use of social media.

    Hisbah spokesperson Lawal Fagge told the BBC that Murja Ibrahim Kunya was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday, along with her boyfriend.

    “Our officers picked her up by 1:00am (00:00 GMT) at her residence alongside her boyfriend, who is also with us.”

    “Her neighbours have earlier complained to us about her conduct as well. At the moment we are investigating before taking the next step,” he said.

    Ms Kunya is accused of using vulgar and uncouth language in her videos, which are watched by millions of people.

    She has not commented on the allegation, but has been seen in an unverified video circulating on social media since her arrest.

    She is heard saying that she did not steal anything, and she thanks God for that.

    When announcing the manhunt, Hisbah head Aminu Daurawa said the TikTok users had failed to comply with previous orders to tone down their content.

    Kano has a majority Muslim population and an Islamic legal system operates alongside secular law in the state.

  3. Mozambican who walked with snake around neck detained

    Jose Tembe

    BBC News, Maputo

    Mozambican police have detained an 18-year old man in the central city of Chimoio for walking around with a live snake wrapped around his neck.

    Brito António Tiofa caused huge astonishment and curiosity. Large crowds gathered to see him with the snake, while some even followed him, causing traffic jams.

    He was detained for “disturbance of public order”, police said.

    Mr Tiofa said he was a snake breeder who owned more than 60 snakes.

    “There are people who raise chickens, ducks, dogs, cattle and pigs, but not me, I raise snakes like any animal in my house,” he said.

  4. Senegal restricts internet access

    Senegal's communication ministry has announced new internet restrictions to prevent the spread of "hateful messages".

    The decision comes as political tensions rise following President Macky Sall's controversial decision to delay this month's presidential election until December.

    The authorities have also banned a march due to take place today in the capital, Dakar, to protest against the postponement of the election.

    Senegal has been plunged into turmoil since Mr Sall announced on 3 February that elections would be delayed because of a dispute over the eligibility of candidates.

    The opposition accused the two-term president of a "constitutional coup", and trying to cling to power.

    He has denied the allegation, saying he will not run for a third term.

    The election was due to take place on 25 February, but has been pushed back until December.

  5. Kenya challenges murder acquittal of popular news anchor

    TV journalist and anchor Jacque Maribe (L) and her fiance Joseph Irungu stand in the dock during their trial for allegedly killing Monica Kimani, a South Sudan based Kenyan businesswoman, on October 9, 2018, at the Milimani Law Court in Nairobi, Kenya.
    Image caption: The court argued that no evidence placed Jacque Maribe at the scene of the murder

    Kenyan state prosecutor has filed a notice to appeal against a judgement that acquitted a famous TV presenter in a high-profile murder case.

    Jacque Maribe and her then-fiancé Joseph Irungu, also known as "Jowie", had been accused of kiliing businesswoman Monica Kimani at her home in Nairobi in 2018.

    Ms Kimani was found tied up in a bathtub by her relatives after they failed to contact her.

    The Kenyan High Court acquitted Ms Maribe last Friday, while finding Irungu guilty of the murder.

    High Court judge Justice Grace Nzioka said the prosecution had failed to bring the appropriate charges against Ms Maribe and that no evidence placed the presenter at Ms Kimani's home on the night she was murdered.

    The office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has filed a notice to appeal against the acquittal, saying it was "dissatisfied" with the decision of the High Court.

    The trial of the killer of Ms Kimani, who had links to South Sudan, has gripped Kenya, even though no motive for her killing has been established.

  6. Senegal braces for fresh protests over election row

    Senegalese demonstrators protest against the postponement of the Feb. 25 presidential election, in Dakar, Senegal February 9, 2024
    Image caption: The organisers have vowed to go on with the protests despite a police ban

    Senegalese lobby groups have called for peaceful protests across the country on Tuesday against the postponement of this month’s presidential election.

    The Aar Sunu Election (Let’s protect our election, in Wolof language), a newly-formed political platform of about 40 groups, said the protests will start at 1500 GMT.

    The protest organisers, who include opposition parties, have urged people to come out in large numbers despite a police ban.

    While banning the planned march, Cherif Mouhamadou Blondin Ndiaye, the prefect of Dakar, said that the protests risked disturbing public order and hindering the free movement of people and goods.

    Last week, three people were killed and hundreds arrested in protests against the delay of the election, condemned by the opposition as a "constitutional coup".

    President Macky Sall controversially pushed back the 25 February vote at short notice, citing a row over the eligibility of candidates.

    More on Senegal:

  7. Nigeria's Access Bank appoints Bolaji Agbede after death of CEO

    Bolaji Agbede
    Image caption: Bolaji Agbede is Access Bank's most senior founding executive director

    Access Bank, one of Nigeria's largest banks, has appointed a temporary replacement for CEO Herbert Wigwe, who died alongside five others in a helicopter crash last Friday.

    Bolaji Agbede, Access Bank's most senior founding executive director, will assume the CEO position in acting capacity, the bank's parent company, Access Holdings Plc, announced in a statement.

    Ms Agbede joined Access Bank in 2003 and has nearly 30 years of experience in banking and business consultancy, the company said.

    Wigwe's chartered helicopter was on its way from Palm Springs to Boulder City in Nevada in the US when it went down, about 96km (60 miles) from Las Vegas.

    According to Nigerian media, the 57-year-old banker was on his way to Las Vegas to attend Sunday's Super Bowl.

    Wigwe founded Access Bank in 1989. It became the largest bank in Nigeria in 2018 after it acquired its main competitor, Diamond Bank.

  8. Chinese inmate escapes from Ghana hospital

    A Chinese inmate, who is serving a one-year jail term for theft in Ghana, has escaped while receiving medical care at a hospital in the capital, Accra.

    Wang Xiao, the inmate, was held at the Nsawam Prison in the south of the country.

    He is said to have reported being sick last Wednesday and taken to a nearby hospital.

    But he escaped from the hands of the prison officers who had escorted him to the health facility.

    The Ghana Prisons Service has reportedly issued a wanted re-arrest notice of the inmate, who is standing trial in another case.

  9. South Africa to deploy 2,900 soldiers to DR Congo

    People make their way towards Goma as they flee a resumption of fighting, East of Goma, North Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo, 07 February 2024.
    Image caption: The deployment comes amid a resurgence of attacks in eastern DR Congo

    South Africa's President Cyril Ramaphosa has ordered the deployment of 2,900 soldiers to aid in the fight against armed rebel groups in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

    The troops will be posted as part of the southern African mission in DR Congo (SAMIDRC), which was approved by the regional bloc in May last year.

    Malawi and Tanzania will also contribute troops to the mission.

    The mission is replacing the East African regional force, which left DR Congo last December after the government deemed it ineffective.

    The deployment will cost South Africa 2bn Rand ($105m; £83m) and is set to last until December this year, a statement from the presidency said.

    The announcement comes amid a resurgence of fighting that has seen tens of thousands displaced, added to the nearly seven million who have been forced from their homes in DR Congo because of multiple conflicts.

    Read more on the situation in DR Congo

  10. Kenyan rangers search for missing iconic Maasai Mara lion

    Kenyan wildlife authorities are searching for a famous lion within the Maasai Mara National Reserve amid reports that it was killed by pastoralists.

    The iconic lion, popularly known as Olobor and a member of the black rock pride, has been missing since mid-January, according to conservationists.

    In a statement on Monday, the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) said there was no evidence so far that the lion was killed.

    The agency, however, said it had since deployed park rangers to look for Olobor.

    “We reassure the public that we will provide an accurate account of Olobor when the facts are established and proven,” the statement added.

    It is suspected that the seven-year-old lion could be a victim of human-wildlife conflict.

  11. Fans urged to stop trolling Iwobi after Afcon loss

    ALEX CHUKA IWOBI of Nigeria during the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinal match between Nigeria and Angola at Stade Felix Houphouet Boigny on February 2, 2024 in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
    Image caption: Some fans are blaming midfielder Alex Iwobi for Nigeria's Afcon defeat

    The captain of Nigeria's Super Eagles football team has led calls to end online bullying against midfielder Alex Iwobi.

    Some football fans have been trolling Iwobi on social media, blaming the 27-year-old player for their country's 1-2 loss to Ivory Coast in Sunday's Afcon final.

    Iwobi played in the match for 79 minutes, before he was substituted by Alhassan Yusuf.

    The online attacks prompted Iwobi to delete his Instagram pictures on Monday.

    Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa and some other Nigerians have come to Iwobi's defence, condemning the targeted online attacks against the player and saying it is unfair to single him out for the team's loss.

    "Dear fans, I want to please urge you to halt the cyber-bullying directed towards Alex Iwobi," Musa shared on X, formerly Twitter.

    "Losing a game is undoubtedly tough, but targeting a single player for the team's shortcomings is unfair and unjust. We win as a team, and we lose as a team. Alex gave his all on the field, just like every member of our squad," he added.

    Iwobi is yet to comment on the attacks against him.

  12. Liberia defence minister resigns amid protests in barracks

    Liberia's Defence Minister Prince Charles Johnson III has resigned following protests by wives of the country's soldiers, who blame him for low wages and poor living conditions in the military barracks.

    The women set up roadblocks near the capital, Monrovia and elsewhere in the country, forcing President Joseph Boakai to cancel National Army Day celebrations on Monday.

    They demanded the defence minister's resignation, blaming him for a reduction in the salaries of Liberian soldiers returning from peace missions in Mali. The officers’ spouses also decried a lack of social security, electricity shortages and corruption within the armed forces.

    The protests started on Sunday near the Edward Binyah Kesselly barracks, in Monrovia.

    Mr Johnson, in a statement, says he is stepping down due to the "current political and civil disturbances" occasioned by the protests.

    He, however, denied allegations of misusing military funds, adding that his wish was to ensure discipline was instilled in the army.

    President Boakai, who was inaugurated in January, through his office said the women's grievances would be investigated and addressed.

  13. Wise words for Tuesday 13 February 2024

    Our African proverb of the day:

    Quote Message: The dog of the village chief is not the chief of all dogs in the village." from Sent by Peter Mbekem in Fontem, Cameroon
    Sent by Peter Mbekem in Fontem, Cameroon

    Click here to send us your African proverbs.

  14. Video content

    Video caption: Kelvin Kiptum: Kenyan marathon heroe's final BBC interview

    Kenyan athlete Kelvin Kiptum spoke to the BBC in 2023 about beating Eloiud Kipchoge's marathon world record.

  15. Scroll down for Monday's stories

    We'll be back on Tuesday

    That's all from the BBC Africa Live team for now.

    Until we're back, there'll be an automated service here, plus you can get the latest news on our website or listen to our podcasts - Africa Daily and Focus on Africa.

    Our African proverb of the day:

    Quote Message: The sun does not forget a village just because it is small." from A Dogon proverb sent by Ibrahima Dolo in Bamako, Mali
    A Dogon proverb sent by Ibrahima Dolo in Bamako, Mali

    Click here to send us your African proverbs.

    And we leave you with this shot of Ivory Coast fans celebrating their Africa Cup of Nations win on Sunday night:

    Ivory Coast fans celebrating their Afcon win on Sunday night in Abidjan.
  16. Cameroon president condemns 'cowardly' attack

    Paul Njie

    BBC News, Yaoundé

    A map of Cameroon showing Nkambe town.

    Cameroon’s President Paul Biya has condemned Sunday’s attack in Nkambe town which killed a teenager and wounded at least 40 others.

    In a statement on Monday, he described the incident in the conflict-hit North-West region as a heinous act committed by "cowardly criminals".

    "I convey my sincere condolences to the family of Cherish Limnuyu, a 15-year-old student of GHS Nwangri," Mr Biya said on X, adding that: "I equally wish a speedy recovery to the injured".

    Students were celebrating Youth Day when an improvised explosive device planted by separatist fighters went off near a ceremonial square.

    The separatists had ordered a "ghost town" stayaway strike and wanted to block the government-organised youth event from going ahead.

    Three suspects have been arrested, according to the regional governor. A church service has been held at the site of the explosion in support of the victims.

    On Monday, elderly women in Nkambe marched barefoot with peace plants in hand, denouncing Sunday’s attack. This town has enjoyed relative calm over the years, with education and other activities going on with little disruption from the separatists.

    But this attack has further reinforced concerns about the volatile security context in the two Anglophone regions of Cameroon.

  17. Nurses strike as Nigeria toughens rules on working abroad

    BBC World Service

    A nurse in Lagos in 2022.
    Image caption: The government wants to curb the exodus of health workers (archive photo)

    Nurses and midwives in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, have gone on strike against new rules for verifying their qualifications to foreign nursing boards.

    The regulations are meant to curb the exodus of health workers from Nigeria.

    Nurses will now be charged verification fees and will have to have practised in Nigeria for at least two years before the authorities will confirm their credentials.

    All applications will now take a minimum of six months.

    The nurses have said the government should improve their working conditions instead of curtailing their freedom to practise where they want.

    The Nigerian authorities said last year that more than 75,000 nurses and midwives had left the country in five years, leading to a huge shortage at home.