2015, o ano 'que mais matou ativistas de meio ambiente'
The long-awaited British report into the invasion of Iraq in 2003 is due to be published on Wednesday. Its chairman, John Chilcot, says he hopes it will ensure that military intervention on such a scale will not be possible in future without more careful analysis and political judgement. The inquiry has taken seven years to reach its conclusions.
2015 was the most dangerous year on record for people around the world trying to protect their land and the environment. That's the conclusion of a new report from the campaign group Global Witness. It says Brazil was particularly badly affected with at least 50 people killed protecting forests and land from illegal loggers and miners.
After a five-year space journey, NASA's Juno probe has arrived at its destination. No previous spacecraft has passed so close to Jupiter before because of its intense radiation. Now that it's orbiting Jupiter, Juno will start studying how the gas giant was formed. The probe will circle the planet for 20 months before destroying itself by diving into the radioactive atmosphere.
Transcrição para o português
O aguardado relatório britânico sobre a invasão do Iraque em 2003 está prestes a ser publicado na quarta-feira. John Chilcot, que presidiu o inquérito, diz esperar que ele garanta que intervenções militares dessa escala não sejam possível no futuro sem análises e avaliações políticas mais cuidadosas. O inquérito levou sete anos para ser concluído.
2015 foi o ano mais perigoso já registrado para pessoas ao redor do mundo engajadas na proteção de suas terras e do meio ambiente. Essa é a conclusão de um novo relatório da ONG Global Witness. Ele diz que o Brasil foi particularmente afetado, com pelo menos 50 pessoas mortas protegendo florestas ou territórios de madeireiros ou garimpeiros ilegais.
Após uma viagem de cinco anos, a sonda Juno da Nasa chegou a seu destino. Nenhuma espaçonave chegou tão perto de Júpiter antes por causa da intensa radiação. Agora que está orbitando Júpiter, Juno começará a estudar como o gigante gasoso foi formado. A sonda girará em torno do planeta por 20 meses antes de se destruir mergulhando na atmosfera radioativa.
Words and phrases and definitions:
on such a scale
(here) of a large size
ability to make good decisions
people who cut down trees
moving around a planet or star
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/29ycbzD
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
on such a scale / judgement / on record / loggers / orbiting
1. Using his skill and ________ he was able to fly through the storm and land the plane safely.
2. John was looking nervous – he'd never organised a party ________ and was worried that nobody would turn up!
3. Politicians are meeting to discuss concerns that illegal ________ is leading to high levels of deforestation.
4. The International Space Station has been ________ the Earth with a human crew for more than 15 years.
5. Financial experts are worried after the pound hit the lowest rate against the dollar ________ .
1. Using his skill and judgement he was able to fly through the storm and land the plane safely.
2. John was looking nervous – he'd never organised a party on this scale and was worried that nobody would turn up!
3. Politicians are meeting to discuss concerns that illegal logging is leading to high levels of deforestation.
4. The International Space Station has been orbiting the Earth with a human crew for more than 15 years.
5. Financial experts are worried after the pound hit the lowest rate against the dollar on record.