In a historic move, the Democratic Party's nominated Hillary Clinton as its candidate for the US presidential election in November. So she's the first woman to lead a major American political party towards the White House, breaking through a barrier that eluded her eight years ago. Former president Bill Clinton took on the role of devoted political spouse with a rousing speech in her support.
Wildfires in California have forced thousands of people to evacuate their homes. High winds and hot weather are causing difficulties for the 3,000 firefighters tackling the blazes in the south and centre of the state.
Scientists at Nottingham University say they are confident that cloned animals do not age prematurely. That's raised hopes that cloning as part of medical research might lead to major advances. The first animal cloned from an adult cell, known as Dolly the sheep, did die prematurely. Researchers say her four cloned siblings are in good health.
Transcrição para o português
Em um evento histórico, o Partido Democrata nomeou Hillary Clinton como sua candidata para a eleição presidencial americana em novembro. Ela é a primeira mulher a liderar um dos grandes partidos políticos americanos na corrida pela Casa Branca, vencendo uma barreira que não conseguiu superar há oito anos. O ex-presidente Bill Clinton assumiu o papel de marido devotado político com um discurso empolgante em apoio a ela.
Incêndios florestais na Califórnia obrigaram milhares de pessoas a evacuar suas casas. Fortes ventos e calor causaram problemas para os cerca de 3 mil bombeiros enfrentando as chamas no sul e centro do Estado.
Cientistas da Universidade de Nottingham dizem estar confiantes de que animais clonados não envelhecem prematuramente. Isso aumentou as esperanças de que clonagem como parte de pesquisas médicas possam levar a grandes avanços. O primeiro animal clonado de uma célula adulta, conhecido como ovelha Dolly, morreu prematuramente. Pesquisadores dizem que seus quatro irmãos clonados estão bem de saúde.
Words and phrases and definitions
forcefully opening the way through (a barrier)
failed to be achieved
very large fires
before its expected time
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/2apQmTy
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
breaking through / eluded / blazes / prematurely
1. Many black actors have been getting awards. Voters for the Emmys made sure that the acting nominees reflected the diversity that __________ the Oscars this year.
2. A __________ has destroyed the old factory in the outskirts of the city. It took too long for the firefighters to reach the area.
3. Some say the top universities are elitist. Poor children who__________ and get a place in one of those most traditional institutions might be the exceptions not the rule.
4. If you drink too much alcohol your health will suffer and you might die__________.
1. Many black actors have been getting awards. Voters for the Emmys made sure that the acting nominees reflected the diversity that eluded the Oscars this year.
2. A blaze has destroyed the old factory in the outskirts of the city. It took too long for the firefighters to reach the area.
3. Some say the top universities are elitist. Poor children who break through and get a place in one of those most traditional institutions might be the exceptions not the rule.
4. If you drink too much alcohol your health will suffer and you might die prematurely.