'Casal de ouro' britânico junta 10 medalhas e faz história
British cycling's Olympic golden couple Jason Kenny and Laura Trott have ridden into the record books. They've now taken their collective gold medal tally to ten, winning five in Rio. Also on Tuesday 19-year-old Simone Biles became only the fourth competitor to win four gymnastic gold medals. She won the women's floor final.
The Greenland shark lives in the icy Arctic waters and feeds on fish and seals. But until now no one knew exactly how long they live. Researchers have found one that could be 400 years old, making it the oldest vertebrate animal.
A racing pigeon champion has been banned for life from the sport, after claims he admitted cheating to win a major international race. Eamon Kelly, who lives in Oxfordshire, is accused of not sending the pigeons to the start line in France – instead, hiding the birds in the loft of his home. Now the sports chairman in the county wants other big-race results to be investigated.
Transcrição em português
O casal de ouro do ciclismo britânico, Jason Kenny e Laura Trott, entrou nos livros de recordes. Eles elevaram a contagem coletiva de suas medalhas de ouro para dez, ganhando cinco no Rio. Também na terça-feira, Simone Biles, de 19 anos, se tornou a quarta competidora a ganhar quatro medalhas de ouro na ginástica. Ele ganhou na final do solo.
O tubarão-da-Groenlândia vive nas águas geladas do Ártico e se alimenta de peixes e focas. Mas até agora ninguém sabia ao certo até quanto eles viviam. Pesquisadores descobriram um que pode ter 400 anos de idade, tornado-o o mais velho animal vertebrado.
Um campeão de corrida de pombos foi banido do esporte permanentemente após admitir ter trapaceado para ganhar uma corrida internacional. Eamon Kelly, que vive em Oxfordshire, é acusado de não ter enviado os pombos para a linha de largada na França – em vez disso, tinha escondido os pombos no sótão de sua casa. Agora o presidente do esporte no condado quer a investigação de outros resultados de corridas grandes.
Words and definitions
number of medals won
eats, consumes (especially for animals)
breaking the rules of a competition
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/2aYKu0E Lingohack ©British Broadcasting Corporation 2016 bbclearningenglish.com Page 2 of 2
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
medal tally / feeds on / cheating
1. Macaque monkeys raid crop fields and __________ grains and vegetables.
2. Russia's __________ was disappointing in Rio after many of its athletes were prevented from competing due to a doping scandal.
3. Amanda was caught __________ in her exams. The teacher gave her a low mark and told her to study or be excluded from school!
1. Macaque monkeys raid crop fields and feed on grains and vegetables.
2. Russia's medal tally was disappointing in Rio after many of its athletes were prevented from competing due to a doping scandal.
3. Amanda was caught cheating in her exams. The teacher gave her a low mark and told her to study or be excluded from school!