Obama faz 1ª visita de presidente dos EUA a Hiroshima
The White House is saying President Obama will not apologise for the American atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima when he visits later this month. It will be highly symbolic – the first time a serving American president has been to the Japanese city since it was obliterated in August 1945.
Nearly a week after a massive wildfire first took hold in the Canadian province of Alberta, officials have had their first look at the damage inflicted on the city of Fort McMurray. Thousands of homes were burnt to the ground but authorities say the damage is far less than first feared. They're now working on producing a re-entry plan within two weeks.
NASA has discovered nearly 1300 new planets outside the Solar System. The exoplanets were found with the Kepler space telescope. NASA says the discovery increases the chance of finding at least one other planet like Earth that might support life.
Transcrição em português
A Casa Branca está dizendo que o presidente Barack Obama não pedirá desculpas pelo ataque com bomba atômica contra Hiroshima, quando for visitar a cidade japonesa mais tarde neste mês. Será uma ocasião simbólica - a primeira vez em que um presidente visita a cidade destruída em agosto de 1945.
Quase uma semana depois de uma incêndio florestal ser deflagrado na província canadense de Alberta, autoridades deram uma primeira olhada nos danos causados na cidade de Fort McMurray. Milhares de casas foram completamente queimadas mas autoridades dizem que a destruição é bem menor do que imaginavam. Agora eles estão trabalhando em um plano para reentrar na cidade em duas semanas.
A Nasa descobriu quase 1300 novos planetas fora do Sistema Solar. Os exoplanetas foram encontrados pelo telescópio espacial Kepler. A Nasa diz que a descoberta aumenta as chances de encontrar pelo menos um planeta como a Terra capaz de permitir o surgimento de vida.
Words, phrases and definitions
highly symbolic showing or representing something that is extremely important
obliterated completely destroyed
inflicted something unpleasant or harmful forced on someone or something
exoplanets planets outside the Earth's Solar System
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/1SZnnVz
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
highly symbolic / obliterated / inflicted / exoplanets
1. He lost control of the car, hit a house and almost ________ the front of the building.
2. Be careful – these wasps are capable of ________ a painful sting.
3. The peace negotiations were seen as ________ because the leaders had never spoken face-to-face before.
4. An international team of astronomers has discovered a new ________, which is thought to be the largest known planet orbiting another star.
1. He lost control of the car, hit a house and almost obliterated the front of the building.
2. Be careful – these wasps are capable of inflicting a painful sting.
3. The peace negotiations were seen as highly symbolic because the leaders had never spoken face-to-face before.
4. An international team of astronomers has discovered a new exoplanet, which is thought to be the largest known planet orbiting another star.