More than 2.5 billion people around the world live in areas that may be vulnerable to outbreaks of Zika, according to a new study into the spread of the virus. Scientists say that countries in Africa and Asia are most at risk.
Doctors in France have revealed that the woman who had the world's first face transplant has died. Isabelle Dinoire passed away earlier this year from complications related to the surgery. The immunosuppressant drug she took to reduce the chances of tissue being rejected seemed to have made her more vulnerable to cancer.
Just before we go: this is rare, in fact an extremely rare whale. This drone footage showing the endangered southern right whale which was spotted off the western coast of Australia. Only 5% are born white. I'll leave you with those pictures. See you soon.
Transcrição para o português
Mais de 2,5 bilhões de pessoas ao redor do mundo vivem em áreas que podem estar vulneráveis a surtos de zika, segundo um novo estudo sobre a disseminação da doença. Cientistas dizem que países na África e na Ásia estão sob mais risco.
Médicos na França revelaram que a mulher que recebeu o primeiro transplante de face do mundo morreu. Isabelle Dinoire faleceu neste ano de complicações ligadas à cirurgia. Os medicamentos imunosupressores que ela tomava para reduzir os riscos de rejeição ao novo tecido parecem tê-la tornado mais vulnerável a câncer.
E antes de irmos embora: isso é raro, na verdade uma baleia extremamente rara. Essas imagens capturadas por um drone mostram uma baleia-franca-austral na costa oeste da Austrália. Apenas 5% delas nascem brancas. Eu deixo você com essas imagens. Te vejo em breve.
Words and definitions
sudden occurrences of disease or war
noticed after looking carefully
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/2c9ZkoT Lingohack ©British Broadcasting Corporation 2016 bbclearningenglish.com Page 2 of 2
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
outbreaks / passed away / spotted
1. Mary is very happy today. She __________ her favourite singer in the park and got an autograph. He looked like an ordinary jogger.
2. There's been an __________ of flu. You should have a flu jab as soon as possible.
3. My mother_________ in her sleep this morning. She's been ill for a while. At least her suffering is over.
1. Mary is very happy today. She spotted her favourite singer in the park and got an autograph. He looked like an ordinary jogger.
2. There's been an outbreak of flu. You should have a flu jab as soon as possible.
3. My mother passed away in her sleep this morning. She's been ill for a while. At least her suffering is over.