Transcrição em português
Ativistas se reuniram na capital ucraniana de Kiev, para protestar contra a matança de cães que vivem nas ruas.
Segundo eles, milhares foram eletrocutados e envenenados numa tentativa de limpar as ruas antes do início da Eurocopa 2012.
Mas os manifestantes defendem que matar os cachorros é cruel e deveria ser proibido.
Ao invés disso, eles querem que o governo financie a construção abrigos para os animais.
activists - protesters
stray - homeless
electrocuted - killed using electricity
putting them down - killing them
shelters - refuges for animals
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from BBC news reports.
Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
activists / stray / electrocuted / putting them down / shelters
1. An Oxfordshire animal rescue centre says it has seen a rise in the number of ________ cats and dogs being left over Christmas.
2. Most victims are _______________ by overhead power cables, but some fall off train carriages while trains are moving.
3. They say they hope to help people and save lives. However, animal rights ______________ describe the research as "disgraceful" and "abhorrent".
4. The__________, which takes in animals that might otherwise be euthanised, had said it would struggle to meet the new rent level for their premises at a Milwaukee-area shopping mall.
5. Each year four guide dogs are so badly injured that they either have to be _______________ or are immediately retired.