Is it a mirage? No, it really is snowing in the desert.
For the third year running, parts of Saudi Arabia have been blanketed.
This year has been particularly cold – sub-zero temperatures have forced shepherds and their camels into their tents to seek shelter.
But some people are enjoying the wintry weather. These men are certainly making the most of it.
Transcrição em português:
É uma miragem? Não é não, realmente está nevando no deserto.
Pelo terceiro ano em seguida, partes do território da Arábia Saudita têm sido cobertos por um tapete branco.
Este ano tem sido especialmente frio – temperaturas abaixo de zero têm mantido pastores com seus camelos no interior de suas barracas em busca de abrigo.
Mas, algumas pessoas estão aproveitando o tempo frio. Com certeza, estes homens estão aproveitando o máximo que podem.
mirage - something that looks real but is not really there
blanketed - covered
sub-zero temperatures - colder than 0° centigrade
to seek shelter - to look for somewhere safe
making the most of - using something while it lasts
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from news reports. Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
mirage / blanketed / sub-zero temperatures / to seek shelter / making the most of
1. The record lows come as parts of the UK have already been hit by __________ and forecasters warned of further plunging temperatures over the next three days.
2. As we’re currently in the middle of a heatwave, it is only sensible __________ from the sun.
3. A winter storm has __________ parts of Canada and the north-eastern US with up to 2ft (61cm) of snow.
4. The UK is failing to __________ its heritage, according to new research by the Royal Society for the Arts.
5. British and American astronomers have discovered a cosmic __________ caused when the gravity of a distant galaxy distorts the light coming from an object even further away.
Source: Cold weather: Record 2014 freeze for England, Wales and Northern Ireland http://tinyurl.com/kcap4fg
2. As we’re currently in the middle of a heatwave, it is only sensible to seek shelter from the sun.
Source: DZ Deathrays – McHugh’s Belfast http://tinyurl.com/lsxztlh
3. A winter storm has blanketed parts of Canada and the north-eastern US with up to 2ft (61cm) of snow.
Source: US and Canada snowstorm causes travel chaos http://tinyurl.com/nu7je9e
4. The UK is failing to make the most of its heritage, according to new research by the Royal Society for the Arts.
Source: UK ‘failing’ to get the most out of its heritage http://tinyurl.com/jwqlbvq
5. British and American astronomers have discovered a cosmic mirage caused when the gravity of a distant galaxy distorts the light coming from an object even further away.
Source: Astronomers see cosmic mirage http://tinyurl.com/kl2fho3