It looks like a marathon…
But strong legs are just one of the requirements to succeed in the Strongman Run.
About 11,000 competitors scramble over mud and slide on water. Fancy dress is optional.
The athletes even give each other a helping hand around the 23 km Nurburgring racetrack in Germany.
This year’s winner did it in just over an hour and a half.
Transcrição em português:
Parece uma maratona...
Mas pernas fortes são apenas um dos requisitos para se dar bem no Strongman Run.
Cerca de 11 mil competidores enfrentam lama e escorregam sobre água. Fantasias são opcionais.
Os atletas até se ajudam uns aos outros durante o percurso de 23 km na pista de Nurburgring, na Alemanha.
O vencedor neste ano completou a corrida em pouco mais de uma hora e meia.
marathon a running race of just over 42km requirements conditions which are necessary
scramble move quickly with difficulty
slide move easily over a surface
fancy dress party clothes usually representing a particular thing or character
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from news reports.
Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
marathon / requirements / scramble / slide / fancy dress
1. "However, it is important to remember that our universities have high-entry __________ and they will only offer places to students who will flourish and succeed on their courses. Admission to university is and should be based on merit, and any decisions about admissions must also maintain high academic standards."
2. For most runners, a __________ is not just 26.2 miles of physical endurance - it means months and months of arduous, painstaking preparation.
3. A pick-up truck has been captured __________ down an icy road in Alabama, before hitting other parked cars.
4. We've seen some pretty weird and wild __________ costumes but this could be the most realistic cat costume we've ever seen.
5. Mount Everest is a dangerous place, and the Khumbu Icefall is one of the most dangerous parts of the climb. At 06:00 local time on Saturday, we were __________through its living, moving blocks of ice.
Source: Languages may be passport to Oxbridge, data suggests http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32653440
2. For most runners, a marathon is not just 26.2 miles of physical endurance - it means months and months of arduous, painstaking preparation.
Source: Could you run a marathon without training? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17456672
3. A pick-up truck has been captured sliding down an icy road in Alabama, before hitting other parked cars.
Source: US snow: Multiple crash as truck skids in Alabama http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31577800
4. We've seen some pretty weird and wild fancy dress costumes but this could be the most realistic cat costume we've ever seen.
Source: Felt cat head could be best animal fancy dress ever http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32340374/felt-cat-head-could-be-best-animal-fancy-dress-ever
5. Mount Everest is a dangerous place, and the Khumbu Icefall is one of the most dangerous parts of the climb. At 06:00 local time on Saturday, we were scrambling through its living, moving blocks of ice.
Source: Nepal quake on EverestL BBC man’s lucky escape http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32502389