Large crowds of frustrated, exhausted people are spending the night at the Serbian border with Hungary, where Hungarian authorities have completed a new razor wire fence and closed off unofficial crossing points.
In California this is the sound of summer – they call it the 'valley fire' and no one here can remember anything like it. It has already consumed an area twice the size of San Francisco, and still it burns.
The ocean is on the brink of collapse, according to a WWF report released today. The study into the health and habitats of marine species has found that populations more or less halved between 1970 and 2012. The report says the declines may be steepest in the fish we need for the global food supply.
Transcrição em português
Grandes multidões de pessoas exaustas e frustradas estão passando a noite na fronteira da Sérvia com a Hungria, onde as autoridades completaram uma nova cerca de arame farpado e selaram pontos de passagem não oficiais.
Na Califórnia este é o som do verão - eles o chamam de 'fogo do vale' e ninguém aqui se lembra de algo parecido no passado. Ele já devastou uma área duas vezes o tamanho de San Francisco, e continua queimando.
O oceano é à beira do colapso, segundo um relatório do WWF. O estudo sobre a saúde e habitats de espécies marinhas concluiu que a população de animais caiu pela metade entre 1970 e 2012. O relatório diz que o declínio pode ser ainda maior entre os peixes da cadeia global de alimentos.
Words, phrases and definitions
frustrated feeling annoyed and upset because you can't achieve what you want to
spending the night staying or sleeping at a particular location
consumed (here) completely destroyed
on the brink of close to or at a point in time when something good or bad is about to happen
frustrated / spending the night / consumed / on the brink of
1. The huge tidal wave _______ much of the beach and the village behind it.
2. Since I've had kids, I find it so _______ that I can't go out to the pub any more.
3. Scientists are _______ discovering a cure for certain types of cancer.
4. Because we missed our connecting flight, we had to _______ at the airport.
1. The huge tidal wave consumed much of the beach and the village behind it.
2. Since I've had kids, I find it so frustrating that I can't go out to the pub anymore.
3. Scientists are on the brink of discovering a cure for certain types of cancer.
4. Because we missed our connecting flight, we had to spend the night at the airport.