Police have conducted more raids in the wake of Friday's attacks in Paris. They say a second man, a ninth attacker, may be on the run. The investigators have also been examining two buildings in the Paris suburbs they believe were used by the attackers.
Wembley had never seen anything quite like it – armed police on patrol amid a massive security operation – this a legacy of the events in Paris. Four days ago fans were amongst those targeted in the attacks, now despite inevitable anxiety, more than 70,000 came to support and to remember. French values and French colours lighting up the home of English football.
World leaders are gathering in Manila for the APEC summit, and with increased security it could make the city's traffic even worse. Manila's gridlocked roads are symptomatic of the significant infrastructure problems in the Philippines and vast amounts of time are lost and huge amounts of pollution generated by the capital's crawling traffic.
Transcrição em português
A polícia realizou uma série de operações após os ataques de Paris na sexta-feira. Ela diz que um segundo homem - o nono a participar dos ataques - estaria foragido. Investigadores também estão examinando dois prédios nos subúrbios de Paris que acreditam ter sido usados pelos autores dos atentados.
O estádio de Wembley nunca viu nada parecido - policiais armados fazendo patrulha em meio a uma grande operação de segurança - um legado dos eventos de Paris. Quatro dias antes, torcedores estavam entre os alvos dos ataques; apesar da ansiedade inevitável, mais de 70 mil pessoas vieram dar o seu apoio e homenagear os mortos. Valores e cores francesas iluminaram a morada do futebol inglês.
Líderes mundiais estão reunidos em Manila para a cúpula da Apec, e com segurança aumentada, o trânsito na cidade ficará ainda pior. As ruas entupidas de Manila são emblemáticas dos significativos problemas de infraestrutura das Filipinas; muito tempo é perdido e muita poluição é gerada pelo tráfego arrastado da capital.
Words, phrases and definitions
on the run trying to hide from or avoid being caught by someone
legacy of result or consequence of
inevitable anxiety certain and understandable feeling of worry
caused by; proof that something exists
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
on the run / legacy of / inevitable anxiety / symptomatic of
1. There was ________ about swimming in the sea again after one man had his arm bitten off by a shark.
2. The popularity of drinking tea in the UK is a ________ the days of the British Empire.
3. The strike is ________ the poor working conditions that exist inside the company.
4. We were told to look out for a dangerous man who had broken out of prison and was _______ .
1. There was inevitable anxiety about swimming in the sea again after one man had his arm bitten off by a shark.
2. The popularity of drinking tea in the UK is a legacy of the days of the British Empire.
3. The strike is symptomatic of the poor working conditions that exist inside the company.
4. We were told to look out for a dangerous man who had broken out of prison and was on the run.