Planet Earth – the most complex thing in the universe. Warmed and cooled by natural trends, heated by greenhouse gases from humans. Scientists are striving to work it all out. In the Pacific for instance, the warming El Nino current is likely to bring floods where there is normally drought and drought where there's normally rain. Corals were bleached by the last big El Nino in 1998. The new El Nino will heat the world, so will a separate climate event in the Pacific. But these will be offset somewhat by a cooling event in the Atlantic. Three big shifts at once.
You're watching what doctors describe as one of the most revolutionary advances in the history of surgery. Here at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London consultant surgeon Declan Cahill seems to sit within the robot – a blend of man and machine. He remains, though, very much in control. It's a tool just like his scalpel or forceps, albeit far more sophisticated.
These are embaixadores da alegria – or happy ambassadors – made up of dancers of all disabilities. They're rehearsing for the 'Paralympics – one year to go' celebrations. Every year they perform at the Rio Carnival. But it wasn't until 2013 that they were allowed to parade with everyone else.
Transcrição em português
O planeta Terra - a coisa mais complexa do universo. Esquentado e esfriado por fenômenos naturais, aquecido por gases causadores do efeito estufa gerados por humanos. Cientistas estão empenhados em entender isso tudo. No Oceano Pacífico, a corrente quente do El Niño tem propensão a causar enchentes onde normalmente há seca e secas onde normalmente chove. Corais foram descoloridos pelo último grande El Niño, em 1998. O novo El Niño aquecerá o mundo, assim como um outro evento climático no Pacífico. Mas estes serão compensados por um evento esfriador no Atlântico. Três grandes mudanças de uma só vez.
Você está assistindo ao que médicos descrevem como um dos avanços mais revolucionários da história das cirurgias. Aqui no Royal Marsden Hospital em Londres o cirurgião Declam Cahill parece estar sentado dentro do robô - uma mistura de homem e máquina. Ele mantém, entretanto, o controle de tudo. É uma ferramenta como um bisturi ou fórceps, embora mais sofisticada.
Esses são os embaixadores da alegria, composto de dançarinos com todos os tipos de deficiências. Eles estão ensaiando para as celebrações do 'Paralimpíada - falta um ano'. Todos os anos eles participam do Carnaval no Rio de Janeiro. Mas só foi em 2013 que eles foram autorizados a participar dos desfiles.
Words, phrases and definitions
striving trying hard to achieve something
offset balancing one influence against an opposite one so no great change happens
revolutionary advances completely new developments that change the way things are done or made
ambassadors people who are chosen to represent a group or organisation
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/1YrjBq3
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences.
Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
striving / offset / revolutionary advances / ambassadors
1. Poor food sales in the supermarket were _______ by an increase in the sale of clothing and household goods.2. He became an ______ for his sport after winning five gold medals at the Olympics.3. Because of the poor economic conditions, many people are _______ to keep hold of their jobs.4. Due to ________ in medicine, more people with cancer are able to survive and go on to lead a healthy life.
1. Poor food sales in the supermarket were offset by an increase in the sale of clothing and household goods.
2. He became an ambassador for his sport after winning five gold medals at the Olympics.
3. Because of the poor economic conditions, many people are striving to keep hold of their jobs.
4. Due to revolutionary advances in medicine, more people with cancer are able to survive and go on to lead a healthy life.