President Obama has set out the vision he hopes will define his legacy in his final State of the Union address. He vowed to continue targeting terrorist networks, accelerate the switch from fossil fuels and also launch a new drive to cure cancer. He called for Congress to be less partisan in order to make real progress.
The elephant population in Africa is continuing to decline despite an international ban on the trade of ivory tusks. Counting the remaining animals is certainly a difficult task – they roam through vast areas, across 20 countries but that is the bold ambition of the great elephant census. It's a continent-wide initiative started by the co-founder of Microsoft, Paul Allen, to keep an account of Africa's elephants and to do it from the sky.
Thousands of Elvis Presley fans descended on a town in Australia over the weekend for an annual outback festival dedicated to the iconic US singer. The celebrations in Parkes coincided with what would have been Elvis's 81st birthday. The festival was first held in 1993 and includes lookalike competitions, an Elvis-themed gospel service and large street parades as well.
Transcrição em português
O presidente Barack Obama apresentou a visão do que espera ver como seu legado em seu último discurso sobre o Estado da União. Ele prometeu seguir com o combate a redes terroristas, acelerar a transição de combustíveis fósseis para outras alternativas e promover uma nova iniciativa em busca de cura para o câncer. Ele apelou ao Congresso por menos sectarismo para que fosse permitido um avanço verdadeiro.
A população de elefantes na África está continuando a declinar apesar dos esforços internacionais para banir o comércio de marfim. Contar os animais que ainda existem é uma tarefa difícil - eles vagueiam por áreas enormes, por 20 países, mas essa é a ambição do grande censo dos elefantes.
Milhares de fãs de Elvis Presley invadiram uma cidade na Austrália no fim de semana para um festival dedicado ao icônico cantor americano. As celebrações em Parkes coincidem com o que seria o 81º aniversário de Elvis. O festival foi realizado pela primeira vez em 1993, e inclui competições de sósias, um culto gospel temático em torno de Elvis e vários desfiles de rua.
Words, phrases and definitions
partisan supporting the political views of just one party
bold ambition big or difficult aim, requiring lots of effort
census official count and collection of information about a population
iconic famous person or object which is thought to represent an idea or style from a particular time
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/1OqBC18
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
vowed / partisan / bold ambition / census / iconic
1. The latest _______ shows that there are more people living in London than ever before.
2. Staff at the factory weren't convinced by the manager's _______ to improve working conditions and improve wages.
3. One of the world's most _______ railway locomotives, the Flying Scotsman, has taken its first public test run after ten years of repairs and rebuilding work.
4. Some people thought John's _______ to row across the Pacific Ocean in one month as completely mad.
5. The prime minister thought ________ differences got in the way of real progress.
1. The latest census shows that there are more people living in London than ever before.
2. Staff at the factory weren't convinced by the manager's vow to improve working conditions and improve wages.
3. One of the world's most iconic railway locomotives, the Flying Scotsman, has taken its first public test run after ten years of repairs and rebuilding work.
4. Some people thought John's bold ambition to row across the Pacific Ocean in one month as completely mad.
5. The prime minister thought partisan differences got in the way of real progress.