The United Nations says the total number of migrants and other refugees crossing by sea to Europe in 2015 has now reached over a million – with most of them arriving in Greece.
The World Health Organisation says the Ebola outbreak in Guinea is officially over, two years after it first emerged there. More than 11,000 people have died of the disease. Most of them have been in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Health officials though still warning there could be sporadic outbreaks of Ebola.
A good news story now about a medical advance. London's air ambulance is trialling a handheld scanner - called the Infrascanner - that can detect potentially life-threatening brain injuries. The device can spot clots on the surface of the brain which, left untreated, could lead to disability or death.
Transcrição em português
A ONU diz que o número total de refugiados e outros imigrantes atravessando o mar para a Europa em 2015 chegou a 1 milhão - com a maioria deles chegando à Grécia.
A Organização Mundial da Saúde diz que a epidemia de ebola em Guiné oficialmente acabou, dois anos depois de ter surgido. Mais de 11 mil pessoas morreram da doença, a maior parte deles em Guiné, Libéria e Serra Leoa. Autoridades de saúde entretanto ainda alertam para surtos esporádicos de ebola.
Uma boa nova sobre avanços da medicina. As ambulâncias aéreas de Londres estão testando um scanner portátil - chamado de Infrascanner - que pode detectar ferimentos no cérebro com potencial risco de morte. O aparelho pode localizar coágulos na superfície do cérebro que, se não tratados, podem causar deficiências ou morte.
Words, phrases and definitionscrossing
sporadic happening at irregular intervals
spot notice something that is difficult to find or see
Watch the video online: http://bbc.in/1nu5Ny5
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
crossing / sporadic / spot
1. Only __________ fighting was reported elsewhere in the city, where government forces have been battling to halt a rebel offensive.
2. John was considered a very good football coach. He was quick to _________ young talent.
3. The archaeologist had to _________ a dense jungle in search of the lost temple.
1. Only sporadic fighting was reported elsewhere in the city, where government forces have been battling to halt a rebel offensive.
2. John was considered a very good football coach. He was quick to spot young talent.
3. The archaeologist had to cross a dense jungle in search of the lost temple.