The United Nations refugee agency is saying a provisional deal, agreed between Turkey and the European Union to stop uncontrolled migration to Europe, would violate international law. Under the deal, Turkey would take back illegal migrants arriving in the Greek islands in return for the EU resettling Syrians from Turkish camps.
Millions of people across parts of Asia and the Pacific have been experiencing a rare total solar eclipse. The moon passed directly in front of the sun, blocking direct sunlight, creating a night-time effect. For a time the darkness was total across a strip 150km wide.
The influential British record producer Sir George Martin, often called the 'fifth Beatle', has died at the age of 90. The news was made public in a message posted on social media by Beatles drummer Ringo Starr. Sir George produced most of The Beatles' hit singles and his accomplishments extended beyond the famous four-piece with which he was so closely associated.
Transcrição em português
A agência de refugiados da ONU diz que um acordo provisório fechado entre a Turquia e a União Europeia para por fim à migração descontrolada para a Europa violaria leis internacionais. Sob o acordo, a Turquia receberia de volta imigrantes ilegais chegando a ilhas gregas; em troca, a União Europeia acolheria refugiados sírios que estão em campos na Turquia.
Milhões de pessoas de partes da Ásia e do Pacífico puderam acompanhar um raro eclipse solar. A Lua passou em frente ao Sol, bloqueando a luz solar e criando um efeito de "noite". Por um momento, a escuridão foi total em uma faixa de 150 km de comprimento.
O influente produtor musical George Martin, frequentemente chamado de o 'quinto Beatle', morreu aos 90 anos de idade. A notícia foi divulgada através de uma mensagem postada nas mídias sociais pelo baterista dos Beatles, Ringo Starr. Martin produziu a maioria dos sucessos dos Beatles e suas realizações se estenderam para além do famoso quarteto do qual esteve tão próximo.
Words, phrases and definitionsviolate
solar eclipse moment when the view of the sun is blocked by the moon
influential affecting people's behaviour, opinions or decisions
accomplishments achievements or successes as a result of hard work
Watch the video online: http:update on upload
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
violate / solar eclipse / influential / accomplishments
1. It's advisable to wear special sunglasses if you're going to view the _______ tonight.
2. My teacher was _______ in getting the university to reconsider my application for a place on the law course.
3. My boss was so pleased with everything I had _______ that he took me out for lunch!
4. The driver was given a huge fine for _______ the speed limit for the third time.
1. It's advisable to wear special sunglasses if you're going to view the solar eclipse tonight.
2. My teacher was influential in getting the university to reconsider my application for a place on the law course.
3. My boss was so pleased with everything I had accomplished that he took me out for lunch!