Sunday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Gossip logo

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Leighton Baines
Everton left-back Leighton Baines is a £5m summer target for Manchester United.

Manchester United are targeting Everton left-back Leighton Baines, 27, as a summer replacement for ageing full-back Patrice Evra, 31. The Reds may offer just £5m for the England international.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Fresh from defeating rivals Barcelona in El Clasico, Real Madrid have their sights set on Manchester City and England defender Micah Richards. Madrid manager Jose Mourinho is a known admirer of the 23-year-old, and considered bidding for him when Chelsea boss.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Nineteen-year-old Athletic Bilbao winger-striker Iker Muniain, who received his first cap for Spain earlier in the year, has caught the eye of Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. But the Old Trafford club will have to shell out £29.5m for his services, according to the player's agent.

Full story: Metro

Newcastle are already in the hunt for bargain signings to improve their squad for next season, says manager Alan Pardew. "We're looking at one or two players that we think might help us," he revealed.

Full story: talkSPORT

Serbia international Adem Ljajic, 20, is a summer target for Arsenal. The Fiorentina midfield man's age and technical ability appeal to Arsene Wenger.

Full story: Metro

Valencia and Spain left-back Jordi Alba is wanted at Old Trafford, though Manchester United will have to fork out £15m for the 23-year-old's services.

Full story: Goal.com

Tottenham are yet to offer experienced central defender Ledley King a contract to play at White Hart Lane next season. The 31-year-old has a chronic knee injury that limits his training and playing time, though he has managed 20 Premier League appearances this term.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Tottenham are set to sign French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris for £10 million.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Everton are considering a move for Fulham's top-scorer Clint Dempsey.

Full story: Daily Star

OTHER GOSSIP

Roberto Mancini
Man City's owners have told Roberto Mancini that he must change his management style next season.

Roberto Mancini has been asked by Manchester City's hierarchy to demonstrate that he has learned lessons this campaign and will adapt his management style for next season. If the Italian can prove his worth, he will be offered a new contract to remain in charge at Eastlands.

Full story: Sunday Telegraph

Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney, 26, is on the 80-strong list of players who could be called up to play for Team GB at the Olympics, despite temporary England coach Stuart Pearce saying no players who take part in Euro 2012 will appear at London 2012.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Former Dutch masters Edwin van der Sar and Ronald Koeman have both criticised Chelsea for their style of play against Barcelona in the Champions League. "For the sake of the game and for football in ­general, I hope Barcelona win in the Nou Camp," said former Manchester United goalkeeper Van der Sar, 41.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Meanwhile, Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, 35, is injured and may miss the Blues' Champions League semi-final second leg tie at Barcelona on Tuesday, according to boss Roberto di Matteo. "He's got a problem with his knee," revealed the Chelsea manager.

Full story: talkSPORT

Sir Alex Ferguson says Northern Ireland centre back Jonny Evans, 24, has developed into "arguably the best defender in the country" while playing alongside the experienced Rio Ferdinand for Manchester United this season.

Full story: Observer

Aston Villa are monitoring the availability of the top scorer in the Dutch premier division, Bas Dost of Heerenveen. Dost, 22, has netted 28 goals in the Eredivisie.

Full story: Birmingham Mail

Tottenham's recent poor run of Premier League form - only one win in their last nine matches - is the fault of their paper-thin squad, says boss Harry Redknapp. "We had what we had today and that was all," Redknapp said after losing 1-0 at QPR on Saturday.

Full story: talkSPORT

Chelsea must make Roberto di Matteo the club's permanent manager, according to Ruud Gullit. The former boss at Stamford Bridge, who signed Di Matteo as a player, said: "He has done a terrific job."

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Aberdeen boss Craig Brown handed a debut to 16-year-old Cammy Smith in the Dons' 2-0 defeat of Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday, and said of the young substitute: "He is really outstanding and is the Dennis Bergkamp of Aberdeen."

Full story: Daily Record

AND FINALLY

A Copa Argentina clash between hosts Racing Club and Sarmiento was halted temporarily as officials had to remove a dozen walking sticks and crutches from the playing surface. The sarcastic protest by home supporters spurred on Racing, who went on to claim a 2-0 victory.

Full story: Metro

Top Stories